Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whine when turning left above 40mph
Good evening all.

I'm a first time poster to the forum here, but a long time lurker/reader; your posts have helped me out on many previous occasions - thanks for that.

I am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction with the following issue.

Vehicle is a 2004 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDI, with around 120,000 miles on it.

It has recently developed a whining noise, it is quite low pitched and seems to be coming from the front near side area. Noise is only heard when above approx 40mph, and is most prominent on long sweeping left hand bends. Noise starts as soon as the steering wheel is even slightly off centre to the left, noise is not there when pointing dead ahead or right.

Does anyone have any ideas before I start taking things to pieces and buying parts?

Thanks,
A very amateur, amateur mechanic...
Im not a mechanic but just guessing it sounds like a wheel bearing. They hum when they go. Just a guess though.
I must admit that was my thought too - merely seeking reinforcement of that notion. Big Grin

Thanks.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to jt0ej47p14 for this post
(13-05-2015, 09:31 PM)jt0ej47p14 Wrote:  It has recently developed a whining noise, it is quite low pitched and seems to be coming from the front near side area.  

A whine you say? Front near side? 

Is you wife in the passenger seat when the whine is present?
[+] 1 user says Thank You to tucker for this post
(13-05-2015, 10:52 PM)tucker Wrote:  
(13-05-2015, 09:31 PM)jt0ej47p14 Wrote:  It has recently developed a whining noise, it is quite low pitched and seems to be coming from the front near side area.  

A whine you say? Front near side? 

Is you wife in the passenger seat when the whine is present?

you got to there first... well done.

Ho! its the wheel bearing going off by the way...
Opps..! Did I say that..! Tongue
wheel bearing gone

needs a press to fit propper- they always fail short order when fitted with brute force and ignorance.

- did mine about 4 weeks ago - borrowed a press. Easy job then - just be aware your near side drive shaft will try and escape/let gear box oil out and if it does then replace the drive shaft seal for about 8 quid .

if you dont youll be tearing it down again the followign week to fix the leak ..... dont ask how i know Big Grin
(15-05-2015, 01:38 AM)Top drive Wrote:  wheel bearing gone

needs a press to fit propper- they always fail short order when fitted with brute force and ignorance.

- did mine about 4 weeks ago - borrowed a press. Easy job then - just be aware your near side drive shaft will try and escape/let gear box oil out and if it does then replace the drive shaft seal for about 8 quid .

if you dont youll be tearing it down again the followign week to fix the leak ..... dont ask how i know Big Grin

Oh how I wish I had read this about a month ago.   Yes...driveshaft seals..aaarrrggghhhhhh!
Thanks for all your help folks.

The wheel bearing has now been replaced (with the aid of a press) and that whining noise is gone. The one in the passenger seat, however, remains. Wink

Take care.