Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning on buying an M49/M59- what to look for?
Hi all

I am planning on buying an M49/M59 Berlingo (I take it that's what the first two generations are called)?

I would like any ideas about what to look out for- common faults, problems, MOT fails, etc?

Having trawled Ebay there are plenty around- I would really like on with the full-length sliding sunroof (then I convince myself it's a 2CV!) Need something to cart my family and dogs around in- the post-2000 ones have sliding doors and 5x proper seatbelts so I need this!

Is there a good amount of room in the back for 3 kids?

Looking to pay absolute max £1500- does this seem fair for a decent one?

Thanks!

Andrew
If I was in your situation, I would be on ebay paying particularly close eye on the M59 1.6 16v Desire. As for the mechanical aspect of it, depends what you need to know, are you a mechanic?
Not a mechanic, but a fairly enthusiastic (and competent) amateur.

What should I look for?

Thanks!
I don't know buddy, I guess just like any other vehicle. Check fluids, listen for any knocking noises, make sure clutch and gears are alright. Don't be alarmed by high clutch, it's like this on all Berlingos. Read online guides on how to buy a car, realize half way you won't be able to inspect any of that in 10min, go home use a hydraulic jack to get it up and then hope for a gem and not a turd.
Hello mini welcome to the forum good to have you with us what to check good starting not a slow turn over a lot of smoke on start up service history rear suspension make sure the wheel's on the rear do not tilt in to much at the top or one in more than the other this will mean a recon axle needed  front spring's are not broken make all the door's open and lock  Smile
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

Thanks for replies- particularly on rear suspension as that's what has just killed my Fiat Multipla!!
Do they have a good amount of space for 3 people/kids in back?
(16-05-2015, 09:34 PM)minisandfords Wrote:  Thanks for replies- particularly on rear suspension as that's what has just killed my Fiat Multipla!!
Do they have a good amount of space for 3 people/kids in back?

Yes better than most  Smile
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

If you decide to buy a 1.6 diesel turbo make absolutely sure that it has a complete service history and carried out by a Citroen repairer or main dealer.
The incidence of various garages using the wrong oil is a known problem that can lead to very expensive repairs.
There are plenty of threads here which deal with oil and failed turbos.
[fon‌t=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool [/font]
Thanks!

Does the 1.9D suffer any problems like this? Is the non-turbo earlier model really slow? I have my eye on this fella...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...1772491669
I would be very cautious about that Berlingo. They must think it will cost a LOT to get it through the MOT

from the advert :-

THIS CAR HAS NO MOT, ARCHES HAVE RUST, MAJOR SERVICE DUE, CAR WILL BE SOLD AS SPARES OR REPAIRS AS IT NEEDS MOT
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.