Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Warning Light] Anti pollution warning 2009 van 1.6 hdi 90
Morning all, I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem, I had my timing belt changed at 147000 miles and all seemed well until 2 days later the anti pollution warning light came on, the van still running fine with the light on but i took it to have a diagnostic test and it came back as a faulty egr valve, The mechanic said it was probably something else as it had no black smoke or any other symptoms of it being the egr valve. He reset the warning light and said see how it goes, it was fine for a week then the light came on again, I also noticed it seems to have a blowing noise which sounds like the exhaust. I took it back to the garage and they found that the blowing noise was infact intake not exhaust. The air filter housing was sucking in air because it was smashed from a previous service when they changed the air filter. All very strange as it only started making this sucking noise after the cam belt change. Anyway they replaced the air filter housing and filter and reset the warning light again, I have now done over two thousand miles without a warning light until yesterday when a bleep and back on it came, I am at a loss as what to do next as the repair bills are mounting up, and dont want to throw money at a new egr valve if its running fine. any help or ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Hermy.
Possibly egr valve is stuck closed, then presumably it would run ok but still show as fault, as same effect as having egr valve blanked. Blanking plates can be bought off ebay but I have no idea whether it's advisable fit them. Running would only be affected if egr was stuck open I would have thought?
(31-05-2015, 06:17 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  Possibly egr valve is stuck closed, then presumably it would run ok but still show as fault, as same effect as having egr valve blanked. Blanking plates can be bought off ebay but I have no idea whether it's advisable fit them. Running would only be affected if egr was stuck open I would have thought?

I dont really understand what the egr valve does, and if you can blank it it seems a bit of a pointless item. I will probably need another diagnostic, only problem is it doesnt really pinpoint the exact problem. as I said in previous post I have done over two thousand miles before the light came back on, so if it was stuck closed would the light have taken so long to come back on its all a bit confusing.
All I know is that EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation. I think the idea is, that a small amount of exhaust gas is allowed to pass occasionally back into the air inlet manifold via the EGR valve, to 1. reburn the gas to reduce overall pollution, and 2. to pre-heat the inlet air to improve combustion. If I'm talking b*ll*cks then apologies to all. I still don't know why this valve costs an arm and a leg to buy!
(01-06-2015, 10:52 AM)CourierJim Wrote:  All I know is that EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation. I think the idea is, that a small amount of exhaust gas is allowed to pass occasionally back into the air inlet manifold via the EGR valve, to 1. reburn the gas to reduce overall pollution, and 2. to pre-heat the inlet air to improve combustion. If I'm talking b*ll*cks then apologies to all. I still don't know why this valve costs an arm and a leg to buy!

that sounds about right to me, the thing is i dont want to spend too much on a van thats done 15000 miles but then I need it sorted if I want to sell it, its a catch 22 situation unless i can bypass it.
(01-06-2015, 10:52 AM)CourierJim Wrote:  All I know is that EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation. I think the idea is, that a small amount of exhaust gas is allowed to pass occasionally back into the air inlet manifold via the EGR valve, to 1. reburn the gas to reduce overall pollution, and 2. to pre-heat the inlet air to improve combustion. If I'm talking b*ll*cks then apologies to all. I still don't know why this valve costs an arm and a leg to buy!

Like the last member said correctly that is the function of the egr. you can blank it but its a devil to get at, but you dont need to take it right out to slip a blanking plate in. They are expensive and does help the planet but not the engine. so its a matter of moral decsion. shouldnt cost a lot to do if your not mechanical.
(01-06-2015, 01:09 PM)Hermy Wrote:  [quote='CourierJim' pid='75454' dateline='1433155925']
All I know is that EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation. I think the idea is, that a small amount of exhaust gas is allowed to pass occasionally back into the air inlet manifold via the EGR valve, to 1. reburn the gas to reduce overall pollution, and 2. to pre-heat the inlet air to improve combustion. If I'm talking b*ll*cks then apologies to all. I still don't know why this valve costs an arm and a leg to buy!

that sounds about right to me, the thing is i dont want to spend too much on a van thats done 15000 miles but then I need it sorted if I want to sell it, its a catch 22 situation unless i can bypass it.
[/quote

UPDATE, Well, I have run the van 30 miles today with the anti pollution light on, I went for a meal with a friend and 3 hours later started the van and the warning light has gone off, I drove back at 80 mphfor 30 miles and it is still off, confused !
could it be an electrical fault or even a faulty switch ?

This goes into thing a little deeper: https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/engine_egr.php
Hello Hermy welcome to the forum what is happening are you doing lot's of short tip's and your getting a build up of oily crud in the EGR and inlet manifold so taking it for long hard dive clean it all out so once a mouth take the berlingo out for a good run to keep it clean the other way's are you can blank it off or you can have it mapped out deleted so you no longer get the gases going into the inlet manifold so no build up of oily crud in the EGR and inlet manifold it stay's clean and it will pass an mot it's your choice
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

(01-06-2015, 09:14 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  Hello Hermy welcome to the forum what is happening are you doing lot's of short tip's and your getting a build up of oily crud in the EGR and inlet manifold so taking it for long hard dive clean it all out  so once a mouth take the  berlingo out for a good run to keep it clean the other way's are you can blank it off or you can have it mapped out deleted so you no longer get the gases going into the inlet manifold so no build up of oily crud in the EGR and inlet manifold it stay's clean and it will pass an mot it's your choice

Hi Jed, thanks for your welcome, I know what you mean about giving it a good run but I do mainly motorway driving and I was on a motorway when the light first came on, I average about 23000 miles a year, so it gets used alot. I could understand if it was stop start delivery driving, maybe its just getting clogged because of the amount of miles it has done, would a diesel additive help burn off any oily crud.