Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M59 Berlingo (2.0HDi) under-tray help?
Morning all,

The OEM engine under-tray has seen many scrapes and cracks over its 11 year life. In fact, it looks like the previous garage had merely cable tied it back in place.

I ordered a fresh replacement tray and also picked up a set of what should have been the correct bolts from the local Citroen dealership. However, the bolts look nothing like the single one that was attached to a broken corner of tray. Either the rusty bolt was again another stop-gap attachment from its history - or the Citroen dealership sold me the incorrect ones. I tried the holes, and they are definitely wrong....

[Image: Undertray%20bolts_zpsn98sajsu.jpg]

The one attached to the underside is the bottom bolt - and the new ones above. I've no idea what they are supposed to do?!

What should have been a few minutes job - turned into over an hour of messing about and trying different methods of attaching the new tray. I can sort the one out on my Clio in under 5 minutes flat - without even jacking the car up!  Tongue

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
D.
Hi Darren, I had a "56" plate B59, and those look like the correct fixings. 2 captive studs snap into into the square holes under the front valance and 1 goes into a hole in the back. I seem to remember that 1 standard 20mm PSA black panel fixing held the undertray at each side as well. It's a bit of a fiddle putting the tray over the studs and tightening on the nuts, but I also seem to remember (this was 6 years ago!), that a tab at the rear end of the tray, located into some kind of support, which helped hold that end for you while you fixed the front nuts. I once (never again!!), used a Halfords Autocentre for repairs, who chucked away the above fixings, and replaced them with about 10 cable ties and self-tappers!
Thanks Jim,

I hadn't even thought of them being used that way, to be honest. So the thread of the new bolt actually hangs down then? It snaps into place and the nut is then used to tighten over the tray when in place? Do you push the captive studs up and into the chassis, or do you drop them in from above - assuming that latter comment is even possible??? Smile

Sounds fiddly - but I'll persevere. I've only ever had one car without an under-tray and that definitely accelerated rust and contamination in the engine bay, in my opinion. Plus from a cosmetic argument, it just helps to keep things a little bit tidier too.

Thanks again,
D.
Hi Darren as Jim says at the back of the tray there is a rigid tongue that locates at the back of the subframe/bulkhead area and there is one locating stud as in your picture that a flanged nut goes onto. then at the front of your tray your rusty bolt is just a push and twist through 90 degrees to lock in the centre of the chassis. About 18 inches either side of this locking bolt you should have another of your studs the undertray is then held by two more flanged nuts. Then on each edge of the tray where it touches the inner wing panel you will see a square hole in wing panel, this has one of these in http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-BERLIN...5d4747f11f
The square part pushes in to panel from above then you put the other part up through the undertray into the fitting and turn 90 degrees to lock.
Hope this helps
Are we there yet????? No we fecking ain`t  gggggrrrrrrr
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Darren, the square ends are pushed up into there relevant square metal holes, at an angle to hook the square "sticking out" part of the stud over the lip of the square hole, then they are swung downwards into a vertical position to "snap in" the spring locking tabs which stick out sideways from the end of the stud. They are NOT dropped in from above! Tomcat3 is right about plastic turnbuttons which fix the sides of the undertray. I found these so fiddly, that I just replaced them with a cable tie each side!
(08-06-2015, 09:54 AM)HI Darren Just fixed the very prob with my new 59 plate berlingo!!!You are missing  some extra fittings they are  spring on clips the fit to the two drop side panels and take two 6mm fixed washer bolts to pull up the tray at the sides by each from wheel, the winged fitting you show  fit in two holes  at the rear fixing points and you put two 6mm  nuts to hole the tray rear , then there is some captive spring nut fixings that  also go in the front crossmember under the rad  three square holes then you insert 3#  6mm washed bolts to hole up the tray front and bumper flap, finaly there are two expanding plastic pin plugs at either edge of the bumper corners.All the new fitting cost me about £20.00  from the dealer but hey now no cable ties and no more F*&%!"$^ rattle!!!Have fun.PS was thinking i should have cut a nice neat round hole in the tray while it was off then no need to remove it when changing the oil.  there  a good tip  for every body i hope it helps mate Darren S Wrote:  Morning all,

The OEM engine under-tray has seen many scrapes and cracks over its 11 year life. In fact, it looks like the previous garage had merely cable tied it back in place.

I ordered a fresh replacement tray and also picked up a set of what should have been the correct bolts from the local Citroen dealership. However, the bolts look nothing like the single one that was attached to a broken corner of tray. Either the rusty bolt was again another stop-gap attachment from its history - or the Citroen dealership sold me the incorrect ones. I tried the holes, and they are definitely wrong....

[Image: Undertray%20bolts_zpsn98sajsu.jpg]

The one attached to the underside is the bottom bolt - and the new ones above. I've no idea what they are supposed to do?!

What should have been a few minutes job - turned into over an hour of messing about and trying different methods of attaching the new tray. I can sort the one out on my Clio in under 5 minutes flat - without even jacking the car up!  Tongue

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
D.
Guys,

Thanks so much for the info on this. I'm glad to hear (in a way!) that other people have had similar issues with so a simple things as an undertray! 

I've ordered some more of those plastics clips from eBay and I'll re-read all these posts thoroughly to make sure I have everything covered before tackling it again. I'm keen to get it sorted before the weather takes a turn for the worse and leaves the bottom half of the engine bay exposed to all of the elements.

Cheers,
D.
There is a kit on eBay which uses half turn fixings rather than threaded captive bolts. It looks easier to install and use and is a lot cheaper.
So where does this bit go then ?
(21-07-2015, 07:32 AM)ffrenchie Wrote:  There is a kit on eBay which uses half turn fixings rather than threaded captive bolts. It looks easier to install and use and is a lot cheaper.

Bought!

Cheers m8.

D.