Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.6HDi Tuning
Hi Guys,

anyone using a tuning box, mapped or chipped their 1.6HDI ?
Looking some feedback from those who have ventured down this route ; )
As far as Tuning Boxes go, you will find three different types for the Bling, the most popular being the ones that interrupt the fuel pressure sensor and raise the injector operating pressure (adding more fuel). Then there are the ones that raise fuel pressure and ALSO interrupt the Boost pressure sensor to raise both fuel AND boost pressure (adding more fuel and Air). Finally there are the ones which interrupt each injector signal to allow a longer duration. This is the type I have fitted, along with an adjustable map sensor (to slightly raise boost), although it gives simalar good strong performance to the others, I prefer the fact my fuel pressure is not being raised excessively as the injectors fitted to the 1.6hdi dont seem the best.
Of course, getting it mapped by a Guru of the Berlingos difficult to work on ECU would be the professional way to go, but you would not be able to put it all back to standard in five minutes should you feel the need.
Cheers!, anyone else ; )
Not that an Australian can help, but I have had a remap done which to be honest is the best thing ever !
I have a 2010 pug partner 1.6 hdi, driven hard often, and has not skipped a beat in 5ooo kilometres 
Think it's a dms brand ( Google Dms) over night process 
Central display shows fuel consumption, best part is that the fuel economy is better despite lead foot by  about 60 kilometres per tank..think it wentry from 66 kW to 90kw. Measured somewhere 
In the wet can get messy as boost comes on strong...?sooty as too!

No regrets, goes as good as a 2 lt tdi in my opinion 

Thinking about getting the family car ( pug 3008) done Smile
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to haulrs for this post:
  • Floydster
(03-07-2015, 09:59 AM)Floydster Wrote:  Hi Guys,

anyone using a tuning box, mapped or chipped their 1.6HDI ?
Looking some feedback from those who have ventured down this route ; )

I'm looking too, now mine's out of warranty.
The only experience I've had of tuning boxes was with an A-class Merc a number of years ago. Totally transformed the performance from the 1.7L turbo diesel engine and I got an additional 6mpg. No failures, smoke, problems. Put the insurance up £12/year. Can't say I'm willing to pay megabucks for one though.

Is everyone happy about the clutch & drivetrain taking a little extra power?
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement… 

2017 Berlingo Multispace Flair 120
2013 C5 Tourer 2.2HDi Excl
Previously:
2012 C5 Tourer 1.6HDi auto
2012 Berlingo Enterprise 1.6HDi Van
2009 C5 Tourer 2.0D
2001 C5 Tourer 2.0D
2001 Range Rover 4.6 Vogue (really!)
Go for the remap it will be done to suit your engine green map more power better mpg or go for the a lot extra power have the EGR deleted at the same time the gear box and clutch is well proven Smile iv'e got to say this do this at your own risk  Rolleyes
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

(04-07-2015, 11:40 AM)taxibloke Wrote:  As far as Tuning Boxes go, you will find three different types for the Bling, the most popular being the ones that interrupt the fuel pressure sensor and raise the injector operating pressure (adding more fuel). Then there are the ones that raise fuel pressure and ALSO interrupt the Boost pressure sensor to raise both fuel AND boost pressure (adding more fuel and Air). Finally there are the ones which interrupt each injector signal to allow a longer duration. This is the type I have fitted, along with an adjustable map sensor (to slightly raise boost), although it gives simalar good strong performance to the others, I prefer the fact my fuel pressure is not being raised excessively as the injectors fitted to the 1.6hdi dont seem the best.
Of course, getting it mapped by a Guru of the Berlingos difficult to work on ECU would be the professional way to go, but you would not be able to put it all back to standard in five minutes should you feel the need.

I'd be interested in which model you bought, if you have that to hand. I think your reasoning about the fuel pressure is sound. Don't want diesel squirting up the windscreen!  Confused

Previously:
2009 C5 Tourer 2.0D
2001 C5 Tourer 2.0D
The Model I have fitted is DTUK's PDI Pulse Modulation System, this is the type which modifies the injector duration. To adjust boost I have a 'Digibooster' box interrupting the map sensor, modifying the output voltage which in turn raises the boost. Would be interesting to know if anyone has ever fitted BOTH types of Tuning Box (injector duration and rail pressure), and what the outcome was, (Apart from a massive amount of Soot!)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to taxibloke for this post:
  • Argos69
Be careful with tuning boxes, they will eventually kill your high pressure fuel pump as they up the pressure pretty much constantly to trick the EUC in to giving more fuel flow.

I can remap the 1.6 up to 2010 if it has the EDC16C34 ECU. My remaps are very good on these and you won;t get any smoke or problems. I can also delete the EGR if required.
http://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Remaps available for 1.6 EDC16, 2.0 Bosch EDC15 & Siemens SID801
(18-07-2015, 02:54 PM)taxibloke Wrote:  The Model I have fitted is DTUK's PDI Pulse Modulation System...

After looking around and doing a very unscientific costing exercise,  I've ended up purchasing a tuning box from Bluespark for my Van. Easy option that I can adjust and remove at any time myself. It's a CR Tech 2 box with 5 map options, from the Economy end of the spectrum to the Torquey-end. All labelled A-E & selected by jumper switches. I'm fitting this today and will start off with "C" and will see how it goes. Don't want to overdo things. As I said, the box I had on the Merc. ran faultlessly for years and gave me all the power and economy I wanted...Fingers crossed that it's £124 well spent!

Hardest part is installing, due to Citroen's clever placement of the rail connector. Seems like it's a job for a trained ferret with no fear of heat/dark/sharp edges!

On the insurance front. I called my insurer (who's price this year for commercial cover is £598 incl. monthly payments, extra driver & £750 tools cover), who said "No-Go we won't cover you!". So I called Adrian Flux, who said £513 including the tuning box, monthly payments, extra driver and £5000 worth of tools cover! So AF now has my business.

Will report on how it all goes.

Off to the pet shop now to see about that ferret.....

======= Updated Monday.

Just thought I'd update while the bleeding stops!  Undecided
I think whoever placed the common rail sensor connector on the 1.6Hdi engine is well and truly off my Christmas card list!
I was warned, but I'm rarely beaten - until today! Not even the ferret would have undone that connector!
To access the connector, you have to remove the battery cover, the battery, the plastic battery tray, then the steel battery tray! The last bit involves removing 4 large bolts. 3 from the engine compartment, but 1 from inside the wing!!!!  Angry
This entails removing the passenger side wheelarch liner (several plastic clips, the mudflap and 2 rusted bolts) to get a socket to it. Once all this is out of the way, you still can't actually see the connector as it is behind a flexible conduit and a rubber pipe.

Anyway....after removing half the van, all I can reach the connector with are 2 fingertips. You need to squeeze a clip before pulling the connector off, so I was stuffed!

After reassembling the blood-soaked components (yes, there was a cable tie down there, cut at 45 degrees for better penetration!) I have now designed and built a little hooked flat tool to try to lift the catch when I try again.

When I regain the movement in my fingers and lower back, I will attempt the job again and see if I can get a photo or two!

Previously:
2009 C5 Tourer 2.0D
2001 C5 Tourer 2.0D
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Argos69 for this post:
  • Floydster