Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-pitched whirring sound after I open the driver's door. What is it?
I recently bought a 2012 Berlingo Multispace XTR Airdream EGS6 e-HDI.

Whenever I unlock the car and open the drivers door (before I put the keys into the ignition), I can hear a high-pitched whirring sound for about 5 seconds. It sounds like a small motor spinning that is moving something. Does anyone know what this sound is for? Is it for some kind of immobiliser or some other system that needs priming? To be clear, everything seems to work on the car, I just want to know what's going on.

Thank you!
Mirrors moving back out? And welcome to the forum.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP. Persamos green.

[Image: ab197646.gif]
I've always thought it was some flaps opening up within the ventilation system. Have you got automatic climate control?
Thanks for the welcome and replies. Sorry if I was supposed to post on the introductions thread first.

Good to hear someone has the same sound doofer. I have air conditioning, but not sure if you mean something fancier by automatic climate control... It's not the mirrors as my car doesn't have electric windows - you move them by hand.
That's odd, my XTR is also 2012 and has self folding mirrors and electric windows, ok it is not the Airdream model but I would have thought those parts were the same?
You have to wind your windows up and down with a manual winder?
Do you have a handbook with your car?
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
(06-07-2015, 06:54 AM)bplisted Wrote:  Thanks for the welcome and replies. Sorry if I was supposed to post on the introductions thread first.

Good to hear someone has the same sound doofer. I have air conditioning, but not sure if you mean something fancier by automatic climate control... It's not the mirrors as my car doesn't have electric windows - you move them by hand.

I've got climate control - this has a digital display instead of the heater control knobs - you set what temperature you want and it sorts it out. Mine makes all kinds of little noises all the time, as it opens and closes various flaps - e.g. it starts off heating the windscreen in the winter, then switches to the face and feet as it gets warm.

I also have folding mirrors, and this noise isn't them - it's after they've done their thing.

I also get little jiggling about noises after stopping the engine, and occasionally while waiting. Mine's got stop-start, so you hear everything while the engine's stopped. It seems to be doing something all the time - perhaps the water pump stays running while the engine's paused. I once thought there were mice in the dashboard.

I'm assuming that the air intake flaps get closed after you switch off, and they re-open next time you start it. This may also happen in the manual air con ones too. I know on my previous car you could see it happening by taking the pollen filter out - there was a big plastic door that closed across the whole intake pipe.
Ok scrub my last, I have just learned that folding mirrors along with reversing sensors were part of a 'pack' for the XTR.
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
(11-07-2015, 02:03 PM)Argos69 Wrote:  
(04-07-2015, 06:11 PM)bplisted Wrote:  I recently bought a 2012 Berlingo Multispace XTR Airdream EGS6 e-HDI.

Whenever I unlock the car and open the drivers door (before I put the keys into the ignition), I can hear a high-pitched whirring sound for about 5 seconds. It sounds like a small motor spinning that is moving something. Does anyone know what this sound is for? Is it for some kind of immobiliser or some other system that needs priming? To be clear, everything seems to work on the car, I just want to know what's going on.

Thank you!

Funny that. I get a high pitched whining noise. It happens whenever my other half is sitting in the passenger seat. Must be something to do with a certain pressure on the seat base or something, because it stops once she gets out. It increases in volume the faster I drive and varies in pitch when I overtake. Like I say, it goes when she's not in the van and very bizarrely I can't hear it when anyone else sits in the van... Funny things, Berlingos....  Rolleyes

Angel
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement…