Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16" & 15"Wheels and tyes
I have a 2010 XTR with 215\55\16 tyres. I have my winter tyres off my old 2004 Multispace which were 185\65\15. The wheel and tyre combo will fit the XTR but are not as tall when you put them side by side obviously, will this effect the gearing and speedo reading because of the different size ratio or will it make hardly any difference ?
yes it will but not that much the van version uses 195/65/15 standard.
Remember to check load capasity also. I used Xsara's winter tyres on Picasso and had to put 3 bar pressure that they where drivable.
(25-08-2015, 03:58 PM)Pid Wrote:  I have a 2010 XTR with 215\55\16 tyres. I have my winter tyres off my old 2004 Multispace which were 185\65\15. The wheel and tyre combo will fit the XTR but are not as tall when you put them side by side obviously, will this effect the gearing and speedo reading because of the different size ratio or will it make hardly any difference ?

OK Thanks for the replies. I will use my 15" rims /tyres for the winter here in Central France.
There are many tyre size comparison sites such as http://www.tire-size-calculator.info/

Using the details you give comes up with a 3.4% difference.
MkIII VTR 1.6hdi Modutop, Climate Pack, 16" Alloys
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Solent for this post
There's more to it than gearing ratio though. Does the XTR use reinforced tyres? I can't remember whether it does. Also check the load and speed ratings. Otherwise you might get dangerous handling or a blowout, cause a motorway pile-up and find out you're not insured. You can't put bike wheels on a Ferrari, same circumference or not.
Pressures seem to make a big difference with the berlingo. Had mine a week now and TBH I wasn't impressed with the handling, seemed very vague, to the point I was thinking the tracking was out or I had a ball joint away!
Checked the pressures when I filled her up today, 30 all round, upped them to the recommended pressures and was amazed at the difference in ride, Very stable now. Berlingo pressures seem quite high compared to other cars Ive had, probably down to the van base?
It seems to be written into the mechanic's training guide that all tyres should be pumped up to 30psi. Mine came from the main dealer, brand new, with 30psi all round, and it handled like a bowl of jelly.

I've since nudged mine higher and higher, and it's currently at the maximum full-load pressure from the door plate. I don't know what it is in PSI, as I've since bought a pressure gauge that displays Bar so I don't have to muck about converting the numbers every time.

I occasionally carry a full load, as my multispace does get used as a delivery van too. It's a bit too hard for one or two passengers, but it doesn't seem bouncy or hazardous in any way. It's too early to check if the tyres wear evenly like this - theoretically it should wear the centre more, but I doubt it will make that much difference.