Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED Indicator bulbs - resistors needed?
I'm thinking of replacing the headlight bulbs with LED equivalents - front, back and side ones. Does anyone know if load resistors are needed to keep it happy? Does it even have blown bulb detection?

I've seen cars with LED indicators, and they seem far more eye-catching. I think it's probably because they switch on and off much faster than traditional bulbs, which gently fade on and off in comparison. Anything to make the other drivers wake up is fine by me. Plus you get rid of the "fried egg" effect of having yellow bulbs there when they're not flashing.

I'm just looking at £5/pair cheapies from ebay. I'm hoping these will be good enough to be legal, unless anyone knows otherwise.
(02-09-2015, 01:23 PM)doofer Wrote:  I'm thinking of replacing the headlight bulbs with LED equivalents - front, back and side ones.  Does anyone know if load resistors are needed to keep it happy?  Does it even have blown bulb detection?

I've seen cars with LED indicators, and they seem far more eye-catching.  I think it's probably because they switch on and off much faster than traditional bulbs, which gently fade on and off in comparison.  Anything to make the other drivers wake up is fine by me.  Plus you get rid of the "fried egg" effect of having yellow bulbs there when they're not flashing.

I'm just looking at £5/pair cheapies from ebay.  I'm hoping these will be good enough to be legal, unless anyone knows otherwise.

This is an interesting one as i was considering the same on my 02,but ended up not bothering in the end.I did an awful lot of homework on the interweb as you are doing Doofer.I did check out a few videos on utube and the first problem is or should i say potential problem,depending on the TYPE of wiring system you have ie Canbus,or its french equivalent you can only change like for like,and when i say like, i mean right down the make,yes you read me correctly by changing the make  can bring up fault conditions in your electrical systems,mad or what.The second problem is the quality of LED,please dont think that because its an LED its got to be good ,there are some very bad quality LEDs out there,the old addage of buy cheap buy twice is very true in this case,so for me at least i would say, dont be tempted to waste your money.If after all that you do insist on doing the change you will definately need resistors to " load up " the flasher unit as its designed for 21w bulbs.For me its too much hastle and frought with possible problems.All the best .Graham
I tried replacing the interior lights with LEDs in my B9 (2008) today, thought it might brighten it up inside. Which it does, but, I found that the LEDs still show a faint glow even when switched off !!! also just flicker and don't light upwhen the doors are opened.
Not sure whats going on there, I took them back out and replaced the standard bulbs, possibly need the error free LEDs?
The first thing is you need canbus compatable bulb's or they can be switch off by the cambus low voltage draw so it think's the bulb has gone or they can strobe other thing they look bright at source but the light does not travel far .
you can get silver tec bulb's so you have not the orange bulb to look at but when it flash's it will e orange
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

I've heard all the above in relation to other makes and models but not a Berlingo. Has anyone actually tried it with a Berlingo? I'm not sure whether it even has any form of blown bulb detection.

By the way, I know about the interior light one - you do need "canbus" type bulbs to get them to switch off. I tried exactly the same.

The so-called "canbus" bulbs just have a resistor in parallel with the bulb, whose function is just to draw some current in addition to that drawn by the LEDs. They just waste power by turning it into heat, so appear to perform similarly to a standard bulb as far as any monitoring system is concerned. They don't communicate via canbus or do anything fancy, and a resistor connected to the wires in parallel with a standard LED buld will achieve exactly the same.

I'm guessing that the dimmer circuit for the interior lights is dependent upon the current draw from the bulb to dim correctly. A "canbus" LED bulb is exactly what's needed.

My thread about the rear interior lights is here - this is what I did in the end (see photos on page 2)...

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/thread-11064.html

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread. LED indicators anyone?
[+] 1 user says Thank You to doofer for this post
You can get flasher relays that are designed for use with low current led indicator lamps. The resistor solution just seems like a bit of a bodge in my opinion.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user says Thank You to technaudio for this post
Doofer. I wouldn't mess around with lighting systems on a canbus vehicle as it can lead to some strange things happening.
I even know of a Peugeot that apparently screwed up the BSI by fitting "angel eye" headlight units.
As I said, I only heard this from the owner, but not seen in person.

Having said all that, I think I have a pair of indicator resistors here somewhere. If you want them, I will have a look for them.
No, no worries - they're dirt cheap anyway.

I can't work out what the problem is - I'm guessing that the flasher timer uses a combination of resistor and capacitor, but perhaps some use the bulb itself as the resistor. This would explain why it could alter the flash rate.

Or alternatively, perhaps it senses that there's apparently no bulb and flashes fast to tell you about it.

The side repeaters are pretty rubbish, and I'd like to make them brighter. The bulbs are covered by a mirrored bit so you don't get the "fried egg" effect when they're off. So they rely entirely on reflection, but I don't think they're very visible on a bright day. Nobody seems to see them. There again I was driving round London so most drivers are completely bonkers angry lunatics anyway, so perhaps the indicators weren't the problem.
(06-10-2015, 06:00 PM)doofer Wrote:  Nobody seems to see them. There again I was driving round London so most drivers are completely bonkers angry lunatics anyway, so perhaps the indicators weren't the problem.
You probably confused them by using the indicators. Probably wondered what they were!!
(05-10-2015, 02:14 PM)Col Wrote:  Doofer. I wouldn't mess around with lighting systems on a canbus vehicle as it can lead to some strange things happening.
I even know of a Peugeot that apparently screwed up the BSI by fitting "angel eye" headlight units.
As I said, I only heard this from the owner, but not seen in person.

Having said all that, I think I have a pair of indicator resistors here somewhere. If you want them, I will have a look for them.

I agree with Col, leave it well alone, i really dont see the point of changing anyway ,cars have been very well equipped for donkeys years with standard bulbs and if its fitted as standard why change it.
 LED s can give you all sorts of problems with the electronics as there not designed to recognise them.