Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Steering & Suspension] Anti-roll bar bushings.
Could any of you knowledgeabe people out there throw some advice on a job i'm about to tackle.I wish to replace the front anti-roll bar bushings on my 2002 multispace.Its the last of the mk 1s so i dont know if this makes any differance to the job.I would like to know what and how many basically. When i say "what" i mean what needs to be replaced ie brackets bolts,bushes and what they consist of,ie you require 2 of these and one of these.Any help / pointers appreciated.
Reading what the hayzy manual says , the front subframe has to be dropped. I haven't changed these on a berlingo but I have changed them on a Transit  Connect for which the Hayzy manual says the same . I found that you don't need to drop the front subframe on the Connect , you can change them by lying on your back and change them by feel   It may be possible that there is a way to do them a similar way on the Berlingo.

The only things needed are new 2 nyloc nuts, apart from the new bushes x2.  If the subframe has to be dropped then a new pinch bolt and nyloc nut for the steering joint will also be needed.

Good luck
[+] 1 user says Thank You to brodfather11 for this post
(11-09-2015, 01:55 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  Reading what the hayzy manual says , the front subframe has to be dropped. I haven't changed these on a berlingo but I have changed them on a Transit  Connect for which the Hayzy manual says the same . I found that you don't need to drop the front subframe on the Connect , you can change them by lying on your back and change them by feel   It may be possible that there is a way to do them a similar way on the Berlingo.

The only things needed are new 2 nyloc nuts, apart from the new bushes x2.  If the subframe has to be dropped then a new pinch bolt and nyloc nut for the steering joint will also be needed.

Good luck

Thanks for that.I have been to Europarts and they tell me i need 2 x bushes only so ive put them on order which i will collect tomorrow.Ive just jacked up the front of the car and had a nose,it does look like i may be able to fiddle the bar out the side once ive removed the drop arms and rubber bush fixings.It does appear to be quite a simple job,we will see,i dont want to talk too soon ,you know what they say about the commentators curse.!
I don't think you have to take the bar out. Remove the brackets lift it up and take out the old bushes and fit the new ones, bolt on brackets. You wont have to take of the anti roll bar links either.  
  I'm assuming a lot as I've never changed them but as I've done them on a lots of  different vehicles I've never had to remove the actual bar on any of them.
Remember you will need both wheels off the ground or the anti roll bar will be under a lot of tension, watch it when you release the mountings !!
I've just had a look at mine and you can see the brackets holding the bushes from under the bonnet. It should be a easy job , no removing of the bar , just unbolt the brackets ( slacken them off with a socket and wobble extension on a long extension from the top ), then lie underneath and remove them with a spanner.  N/S will be the easiest. 

If you are  doing them on your drive or garage floor then this might help.

When you jack it up try to take the pressure off the anti-roll bar.  Keep the wheels on and put blocks or something under the wheels and let it down onto the blocks. (Handbrake ON and in gear )  What you need is as if its sitting normally with the suspension under pressure with clearance for you to wriggle underneath  This allows you to waggle the anti roll bar easily once the brackets are loose.  The blocks will give you height to work underneath. Ideally a set of ramps that you can run the motor up onto is what you need. Or a Garage type 4 poster lift.

Idea     Of course you could remove one end of the anti roll bar links but knowing them you'll probably have to cut them off and fit new ones.
Thanks a lot chaps.Im getting a much better picture now of what to do and actually what the thing consists of.I had in my mind that the new bushings would be slid up from the end of the bar but i assume the bushings are split.Im going to pick up my parts in the next few minutes ,all will be revealed.The drop arms ive had off and replaced before so im sure they wont cause me any grief.
Finished the job earlier today.Very simple ,i think i should not have read the Haynes manual ,it says in there that the subframe has to be released and the back of it wedged open enough so the anti-roll bar can be removed,and talks about taking measurements,and having the steering checked afterwards.Absolute rubbish !!! All that it requires is the clamp [ 1 x bolt ] to be removed on each side,the bush which is split can be removed and the new one fitted,i suppose it could be construed as a little fiddly as the new bushings are awkward to compress together once you have them fitted over the bar but not what i would call difficult for the home mechanic.The whole job start to finish took me no more than an hour.Good ey.Thanks chaps for your input.
Well Done ,
and thanks for letting us know the result.

I've found that the Haynes Manual does not show the easiest way to do things .

Were the bushes badly worn ?
(12-09-2015, 05:28 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  Well Done ,
                    and thanks for letting us know the result.

I've found that the  Haynes  Manual does not show the easiest way to do things .

Were the bushes badly worn ?

No ,the bushes were like new.They were changed as ive been experiencing some noise from under the car and it was perhaps a belt and braces type job as ive checked and replaced everything else.Long story,but ive actually just written a new thread on suspension gas or oil if you want a more in depth look.Great help anyway.Much appreciated.