Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need pointers doing up my van
Hi I'm new here just gone a bought my self a berlingo 1.9d an I want to give her a bit more poke what do you guys rekon I should do to get a few more hp / make it run better, thanks  from A.J
The 1.9D doesn't have " poke " even when new so all you can do is ensure the cam and pump timing is spot on and keep a clean fuel and air filter, assuming the tyres are pumped up and the brakes are not dragging. The engine isn't about revs and the best progress is made by riding the torque curve and anticipating the road not to lose / keep up your momentum.

Everything about the 1.9D is relaxed and slow getting there but it will get there in a sort of Sunday driver way, My 1.9D will cruise at 80 if I can handle 40mpg but it will of course fall back to lower speeds on the steeper hills.

So for more poke a turbo version is the only real answer.
Put a 2.0 turbo engine in it Smile
(13-09-2015, 07:05 AM)jonnie100 Wrote:  Put a 2.0 turbo engine in it Smile

1.9 turbo out of a 306/406 is easier. 2.0 is common rail and you would need all the wiring /ECU/BSI to go with it.
(13-09-2015, 09:18 AM)Col Wrote:  
(13-09-2015, 07:05 AM)jonnie100 Wrote:  Put a 2.0 turbo engine in it Smile

1.9 turbo out of a 306/406 is easier. 2.0 is common rail and you would need all the wiring /ECU/BSI to go with it.

Thats what i was thinking of putting a 306/406 lump init but how straigjt forward isit  im no professional mechanic but i can do most jobs my self with pointers
You'll need to search the Forum as there are a number of people doing such things, some successfully and others not so !
It would be worth reading not just for the " how to " but also to see what troubles folks have also.
Apart from physically fitting things in the space available you will need to consider the electrical and electronic implications.
The Peugeot Forum also has a lot of info on swap overs.
(13-09-2015, 12:07 AM)Rawlings96 Wrote:  Hi I'm new here just gone a bought my self a berlingo 1.9d an I want to give her a bit more poke what do you guys rekon I should do to get a few more hp / make it run better, thanks  from A.J

If you want a fast car sell the berlingo and buy a Porsche.If you want a cheap to run car thatll do exactly what is says on the tin and go on - and on - and on - and on, just like my wife on a good day then stick with her.Its a great vehicle but itll never be quick !!
(13-09-2015, 01:13 PM)bikergraham Wrote:  
(13-09-2015, 12:07 AM)Rawlings96 Wrote:  Hi I'm new here just gone a bought my self a berlingo 1.9d an I want to give her a bit more poke what do you guys rekon I should do to get a few more hp / make it run better, thanks  from A.J

If you want a fast car sell the berlingo and buy a Porsche.If you want a cheap to run car thatll do exactly what is says on the tin and go on - and on - and on - and on, just like my wife on a good day then stick with her.Its a great vehicle but itll never be quick !!

Lol no thanks mate I need my van for work plus it's my first motor going to keep it till it goes pop but I like to have a fiddle with things an make them better then bog standard what about a decat with a remap and an induction kit instead? Would it be cheaper an less time consuming with a decent outcome for now or a straight threw pipe an what are all these inter coolers all about would I need one?
^^^ Waste of time with the remap idea as the 1.9D has no map since it has a mechanical pump.

Please excuse me for saying this but if you need to ask what an intercooler does then you really didn't ought to be considering undertaking any tuning works as it will all end in tears and an empty wallet, sorry.
(13-09-2015, 03:07 PM)Rawlings96 Wrote:  
(13-09-2015, 01:13 PM)bikergraham Wrote:  

Lol no thanks mate I need my van for work plus it's my first motor going to keep it till it goes pop but I like to have a fiddle with things an make them better then bog standard what about a decat with a remap and an induction kit instead? Would it be cheaper an less time consuming with a decent outcome for now or a straight threw pipe an what are all these inter coolers all about would I need one?

Huh A remap on a 1,9 normally aspirated diesel engine wouldnt make any difference,changing the exhaust would increase your fuel consumption ,sound awful, [ its a diesel ] attract the police,and make the engine run rough.The manufacturers spend millions on getting these vehicles to run properly and efficiently,giving a balance between longlivety ,power,noise and fuel efficiency.By " messing " with the fuel and or exhaust system when you havnt got, firstly the enormous amount of knowledge that tuners have but also the tools and computers that youll need to tune everything to perfection and deep pockets to be able to afford the correct items youll need.Ask any professional tuner,extra BHP costs are enormous,trust me intercoolers are not something that needs to be fitted to a Berlingo.The catalytic converter has to be there for you emission test on its MOT .Perhaps 30 years ago you may have stood a chance at a small improvement in a petrol engine at a reasonable cost but a " modern diesel " forget it,its like saying to me ive got a new Massey Fergison tractor i want to change it to go faster ,ive got a shed and a socket set Mmmm dont even go there.Trust me a less restrictive exhaust would at best make the car less desirable ,but may damage it beyond repair, also give you a MOT fail..
I do completely understand why and what your about and your need to fiddle,but your time and effort would be better invested in actually looking after your vehicle,take it from me ,the insurance companies don't like the word modified and can void your cover if not told.Dont take that chance.      All the best Graham.