Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
...and we don't even get a paper disk now!
Just received my vehicle tax reminder today.

£225 for 1 year in the 1.6 Berlingo van.

...and we don't even get a flamin' paper disk now!

If it is all to do with emissions, then how come, when I had my van MOT'd the garage had to check my emissions on 2 different machines, because they were almost too low to measure?  Undecided
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement…
I agree with you Argus just to raise your blood pressure further have you compared your ved for your van compared to the car version. Its a bl@@dy joke ved rates.
Are we there yet????? No we fecking ain`t  gggggrrrrrrr
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Is it not a good moment to say that mine was free for the first year, and £30 a year for every year after..?

1.6 Diesel Multispace XTR with 6-speed auto gearbox (90bhp)

Are vans calculated differently to cars?
Commercial vehicles are rated differently. I could have a tiny 1.1 litre diesel or a 3 litre V6. The tax band is still £225. There is an offset you claim back though based on the emissions. Don't know how it works, that's why I'm not an accountant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 1.6 L1850 90ps In Artic Steel inc Look Pack and Lighting Pack.
Gosh - I didn't realise it was so complicated.

It's no wonder everyone drives massive Tonka-toy pickup trucks then.

Edit: Just read up on it. It really is stupid and unfair, and there's zero incentive to get an efficient one, other than fuel costs of course.
(06-10-2015, 05:54 PM)doofer Wrote:  Is it not a good moment to say that mine was free for the first year, and £30 a year for every year after..?

1.6 Diesel Multispace XTR with 6-speed auto gearbox (90bhp)

Are vans calculated differently to cars?

No, (sob, sob) it's never a good moment for news like that!

Ok, next time, I'm buying an XTR, selling off the posh interior and rear body glass, fitting steel panels where the glass is gone and using it as a van - with reduced running costs! Unless they start making a 3 litre V6, now that would be interesting in a Berlingo!
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement…
I had no idea of just how stupid VED for vans is - this was a revelation for me, and you have my sympathy.

I don't know whether your idea about stripping a multispace was a joke, but it might actually be a serious option!

It's all changing in 2018 anyway. I'd assume that the days of driving anything decent for £30 a year aren't going to last long. They've said it won't be retrospective, but I'd bet it will rapidly catch up with the new rates.
I have the multispace for delivery work and Tax was a major factor in the decision, That and the insurance is 1K cheaper for exactly the same cover.

Seats are either folded or as xmas is coming, removed to give a surprising amount of extra space. I've not even bothered doing anything to the windows as the tint is dark enough that you need to be right up close to seen in.
14 Plate Berlingo Multispace XTR
Ok, next time, I'm buying an XTR, selling off the posh interior and rear body glass, fitting steel panels where the glass is gone and using it as a van - with reduced running costs! Unless they start making a 3 litre V6, now that would be interesting in a Berlingo!
[/quote]

Then you'll have to notify your insurance and pay more for a modified vehicle, declare a change of use to DVSA and pay VAT on the car price and get put into your original tax bracket anyway Big Grin You can't win. Just take the seats out and tint the rear windows and insure it for business would be the way to go.
So where does this bit go then ?
That's exactly what I do - my Multispace XTR is a delivery van as well as our car. The seats are out as often as in, depending on what supplies I'm collecting - I run a small online retail business, so everything arrives and leaves in it.

Mine's unmodified. It's just as big as a van without the seats. I have business cover on the insurance. I've found that the breakdown companies have all started charging £100+ for basic business breakdown cover, so I got it as an add-on to the insurance for about £30-odd instead.

My year's cover with about £240 - comprehensive with a protected bonus, windscreen and breakdown cover. With a decent company too - Aviva. Mine's insurance group 9, which is lower than many very basic cars.