Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bumper scratches
Any advice on sorting these scratches out would be appreciated. The vehicle is a 13 reg XTR silver metallic. No great issue but they bug me. In the corner section of the kerbside rear bumper from a fence screw in my drive I managed to put in two scratches about 100mm long, through past the paint. Blush With success I have done hair scratches before.
I have had several goes at them having googled and youtubed the subject, the scratches are still pretty obvious ;I do have the right paint. My dealer at a service quoted about £100 and I would have difficulty matching the paint as the original will have faded. As this will be the case if no other idea is forthcomimg I wondered about thinking outside the box and covering them up with something ,sticker or the like.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-acc...ctor-370mm

Would something like that work? Would also give the added protection if you ever catch it again.
Get a Chips Away type company to do it. They'll charge a bit less, but will do it without repainting the whole bumper.

The colour match will be near-perfect, but they also get it flat and polished. They fill, sand, paint and polish but using a tiny airbrush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra6rT-khLcY
13 reg will not have faded or it should go back to be sorted under warranty for paint defects. I had an aerosol of aluminium gris mixed for my bumper and it is fine for my 03 car for touching up. It cost £13 and will last for ages. You do need to lacquer over it and cut it after but I've been doing it for years so no problem. You do need to fill any deep scratches and rub back down to level the raised edges but with patience you can achieve decent results. I'm not a perfectionist and as long as it's all one colour I'm happy. Big Grin
So where does this bit go then ?
I had a go at a DIY repair on my previous car. It had some stone chips in the bonnet. I got a kit with colour matched brush paint, fine wet-or-dry, brush lacquer and polish. All was going well until I managed to rub through the lacquer on the surrounding area. In the end I smeared a bit of lacquer over it and left it, but honestly it would have looked better if I hadn't touched it, or had just dabbed a bit of colour in the chip like most people do.

I don't think you can get as good a job as spraying without spraying it.
(14-11-2015, 09:25 PM)doofer Wrote:  I don't think you can get as good a job as spraying without spraying it.

You can't brush metallic finishes, the metallic particles sink and they just look dull.
I have bought the bumper protectors mentioned in earlier post.
Doofer has it right, whilst I made the scratch smooth, the paint came out darker. I think it was less dark if I mixed a bit to lacquer with the paint. I could see if I really had a go at it there would be a spray job needed over a much larger area. I was in danger of making them more visible. Probably needed spray cans rather than bottles and brushes.
At the end of the day,it's plastic so it won't rust & you can't see it from the drivers' seat.That's my philosophy.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[+] 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post
(19-11-2015, 11:01 PM)ron Wrote:  At the end of the day,it's plastic so it won't rust & you can't see it from the drivers' seat.That's my philosophy.

And it's there to take the knocks so it's doing it's job.  Big Grin
This is why I avoided metallics. For a Multispace, that means you have a choice of a white ice cream van or a black hearse. So I got the hearse, and it looks great, for about 5 minutes after washing. But it should be easy to fill and touch up if it gets into any fights over the year.