Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] poor starting issue
Happy new year folks.
My 53 plate 1.9d has developed a bad stertig problem,i had new glow plugs fitted along with a new heavy duty battery and new diesel filter.on a morning when its quite mild it will start but idles lumpy,tod when it was below zero it took a good 5 mins of turning over before it fired up.A mechanic said he compression tested it and two cylinders were low on compression,he reckons its got sticking valves but once its started it runs like a dream.i am beginning to wonder if he did fit new glo plugs etc...anybody got any ideas please,
                                                                                      Thanks in advance,Alan.
You need to get the valve clearances checked as the exhaust valves tend to close up on high mileage motors. Hard to start from cold but once warmed up they run fine.
Are we there yet????? No we fecking ain`t  gggggrrrrrrr
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Tomcat3 for this post
The valve seat's ware on hight mileage so they slowly get closer to the cam and don't shut properly lead to bad starting .
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

[+] 1 user says Thank You to Jed Clampit for this post
what glow plugs did your mechanic fit? I ask because i am constantly coming across the problem of spurious glow plugs! Did he fit Beru glow plugs and if so where did he get them from?
[+] 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post
(02-01-2016, 01:38 AM)polar Wrote:  what glow plugs did your mechanic fit? I ask because i am constantly coming across the problem of spurious glow plugs! Did he fit Beru glow plugs and if so where did he get them from?

I havnt asked him and to be honest ive lost faith in the chap now with one thing and another but thankyou for your help'
Tight valves will give low compression
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Col for this post
(02-01-2016, 01:38 AM)polar Wrote:  what glow plugs did your mechanic fit? I ask because i am constantly coming across the problem of spurious glow plugs!

Is there a specific brand of heater plug you are referring to ?? I realise this will be a subjective thing.....

Alantjs ..... get the valve clearances checked out as they typically cause the issue you are experiencing.
Should the valves require adjustment then get your mechanic to set them to their maximum tolerance.
Checking is not a big job but adjustment is as it requires the camshaft to be removed.
Advice often given is to try and combine this work with doing the cambelt service as most of the strip down has to be done for the belt anyway, this is good advice !
[+] 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post
You are best to buy Bosh or Beru from somewhere like GSF then you know they are genuine and not some copy which i have seen.

I have had vehicles in where the glow plugs have been replace by quality ebay stock and the vehicle still smuggled to start when i removed the glow plugs ive had 1 out of 4 working. I have also seen slow heat up times and glow plugs that just do not get hot enough - yes they work but they get red hot as appose to white hot, it makes a massive difference.

If you stick to the ones i have said above from a reputable dealer you wont go wrong.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post