Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 2.09 Average
TU3 Engines
Hello folks,

I've got a 1.4i Berlingo van on a 57 plate that's done 245,000 miles working as a same day courier. Problem is that the engine is knackered and I need to source a used replacement but this is proving a bit difficult where I live in south Cheshire.

According to my local Citroen dealer, the van is listed as having a TU3A engine but I'm not so sure. The VIN No contains the letters KFW which some websites identify as a TU3JP - does anybody know the difference between the two?

I'm led to believe that this is a very common engine, although it's quite rare in a Belingo van, as most of them are diesels. But they may be more common in Citroen and Peugeot Cars. My thinking here is that I want to get an egnine that has done the lowest possible mileage and that if I can get one that's come out of a car, then it's likely to have done less miles than one that's been taken out of a van. But which cars carry this engine? I'd like to get hold of an engine that's not older than the van itself for the same reasons.

Finally does anybody know of any vehicle dismantlers that are worth trying?

Cheers
I have a 1.6 petrol car version from the same model.

The 1.4 was indeed far more popular and there are lots more of them about than the 1.6 as the 1.4 seemed to be the stock choice that dealers held and the 1.6 were to order. At least that was the case when I purchased mine.

You shouldn't have too much trouble locating a 1.4 although finding one newer than 2007 might be a bigger task.

Have you checked Ebay out?
(13-09-2011, 03:34 PM)Fatbloke Wrote:  Hello folks,

According to my local Citroen dealer, the van is listed as having a TU3A engine but I'm not so sure. The VIN No contains the letters KFW which some websites identify as a TU3JP - does anybody know the difference between the two?

Send me a VIN to PM and i'll tell you what engine do you have

(13-09-2011, 03:34 PM)Fatbloke Wrote:  Hello folks,

I'm led to believe that this is a very common engine, although it's quite rare in a Belingo van, as most of them are diesels.

In my country it's a very popular engine because it's very simple.

The VIN contains the letters KFW in the section that I'm told is the engine code and it's that which leads me to think it might be a TU3JP.

Is there anything in the engine number itself that would identify it?

It has multi point fuel injection and the oil filter is of the paper element type. The oil filter housing is at the gearbox end and has a black plastic top with a hex head moulded onto the top if that helps.

Cheers
(14-09-2011, 11:57 AM)Fatbloke Wrote:  The VIN contains the letters KFW in the section that I'm told is the engine code and it's that which leads me to think it might be a TU3JP.

Small mistake.....
TU3JP engine is KFV engine.
TU3A engine is KFW engine.

TU3A engine equipped with SAGEM J34P injection system (EURO4)
TU3JP engine equipped with SAGEM S2000 PM1 injection system (EURO3).

Thats the difference

[+] 1 user says Thank You to pk7478 for this post