Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door mirror misalignment
Just replaced the driver's door mirror because the metalwork in the old one was corroded and wobbly. The new one has a strange problem in that the outer shell is not at a suitable angle. When you try to adjust the glass for a good view, the glass reaches the end of its travel, hitting the shell.  It seems to be the detent notch on the shell pivot that's in the wrong place. If I rotate the shell to about 20degrees off the notch, then the glass is in the mid position of its travel when aligned. But of course it is unlikely to stay there very long.

Just wondered if there is any adjustment in these mirrors for the detent notch, or have I been given the wrong mirror?

Apart from this issue, the mirror housing is identical to the original, and the part description on the box is correct. Which makes me think it's a misadjustment or incorrect manufacture issue.

----

Edit - I'm wondering if this is for a LHD car. The nearside mirror would have to be angled further inwards.
The problem is that the mirror is lhd, I don't think rhd specific mirrors are available, but I may be wrong. Even the mk3 comes with lhd mirrors & adjustment of UK driver's side is not sufficient.
Wink 
Thx for reply.

I dismantled the mirror and ground the detents so the arm rotates over a small range. Dodgy That was simpler than sending it back for replacement. Roadtested to 70 and the friction is enough to keep it in place.