Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cool running engine
I've had my berlingo 2.0 hdi a year now.
During this time, the temp gauge has never been quick to get to 90 degrees compared to previous vehicles I've had. I can drive round town for a couple of hours and it never gets above 70 degrees. The only time it gets near 90 is if I leave it on tick over for a good 15 minutes or when motorway driving.
I'm pretty sure fuel economy isn't as good as it should be around town, probably 35 mpg at best. Could the cool running engine be the cause for poor fuel economy?
I'm suspicious that the thermostat may be stuck open?
My 1.6 has been the same since new. My previous 1.4 Bipper was the same and I'd changed the stat in that twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 1.6 L1850 90ps In Artic Steel inc Look Pack and Lighting Pack.
I had a Vauxhall combo the temp just moved a little bit.I blocked off half the rad in winter just to get some heat..it had 3 different thermostats in it.but still the same for 6 years..never did find out why it was so cool running..? Sold it now..
It was a little colder than expected, plus the short annoying trips were pissing me off so I decided to cover the radiator with bin liner bags from both sides. Huge difference. Temps are easily regulated using the heater radiator and it makes a change to have nice consistent hot air. Especially if you want it a bit hotter than usual, just google car/truck radiator cover and you will see the images of why it's a popular mod in specific countries.
(27-02-2016, 08:53 AM)jonnie100 Wrote:  I've had my berlingo 2.0 hdi a year now.
During this time, the temp gauge has never been quick to get to 90 degrees compared to previous vehicles I've had. I can drive round town for a couple of hours and it never gets above 70 degrees. The only time it gets near 90 is if I leave it on tick over for a good 15 minutes or when motorway driving.
I'm pretty sure fuel economy isn't as good as it should be around town, probably 35 mpg at best. Could the cool running engine be the cause for poor fuel economy?

have you changed the thermostat? its simple enough to do and made a difference to my 2.0hdi.
When was the coolant last changed, The engine is probably over ten years old now and should of had 2 or 3 coolant changes at least in that time and should get warmer than that. It could be the original thermostat stuck wide open or is there even a stat in there, so giving it a good flush through and a new thermostat would be a start.
Are we there yet????? No we fecking ain`t  gggggrrrrrrr
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
(27-02-2016, 11:59 AM)Kokain Wrote:  It was a little colder than expected, plus the short annoying trips were pissing me off so I decided to cover the radiator with bin liner bags from both sides. Huge difference. Temps are easily regulated using the heater radiator and it makes a change to have nice consistent hot air. Especially if you want it a bit hotter than usual, just google car/truck radiator cover and you will see the images of why it's a popular mod in specific countries.

That's wat I did with my old combo blocked half the rad with some 8mm ply..got nice and warm then..
Thanks for replies.
The van has done 122k and a full service history upto 100k so coolant should have been changed regularly, I guess.
I think I'll do a coolant change and new thermostat anyway as I'm keeping it for a while.
Can anyone recommend a decent make of thermostat? I don't want a cheapy one.
Hi,

In a cold weather, it takes a long time until the engine reaches its normal operating temperature.
But after that the coolant temperature must not fall below 80 °C.
The thermostat starts to open at 83 °C. It is completely closed at 78-80 °C.

If the coolant temperature is below 80, the thermostat does not close completely - that is, it is faulty. Or the currently installed thermostat does not meet Citroen specs.

Buy the genuine one.
(27-02-2016, 08:53 AM)jonnie100 Wrote:  I've had my berlingo 2.0 hdi a year now.

Hi Jonnie does the heater blow hot? The reason i ask is if it does it may well be the temperature sender that is faulty as the 2.0hdi's do tend to suffer from this fault at higher mileages. So your stat may be fine and the temperature gauge is just lying to you.