Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] bad starting all of a sudden
hi....I've got a 2004 multispace and its been a cracker never given me any starting problems till now,.......when I put the ignition on I do the usual, wait for the heater plug light to go of then starts with half a turn without fail, BUT the last couple of days that has changed to many turns of the engine until it starts, when its warm for the rest of the day it starts half a turn again until the next day, does any one have any ideas...... Sad Huh Huh
Maybe starter wearing out.this how mine started.took a few turns in the morn.then fine all day.put new starter on.then was fine...
First start of the day then every other start during the day is ok ? Which engine are you referring to ???
Could be the glow plugs needing looked at
If it's the 2.0HDi don't waste money on diagnostics or other stuff like glow plugs - replace the starter motor with a new one, there's a high power one on ebay for about £69. It will resolve your issue like it has done for me and countless other people.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
(06-03-2016, 06:56 PM)Growler73 Wrote:  If it's the 2.0HDi don't waste money on diagnostics or other stuff like glow plugs - replace the starter motor with a new one, there's a high power one on ebay for about £69.  It will resolve your issue like it has done for me and countless other people.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatal
That's what i did in the end.went to auto electrition he said no power to glow plugs but I thout he was wrong.he wanted to cut into my wiring put a separate feed to glow plugs ect.any way after a bit of a row with him because he wouldn't listen to my suggestion. About maybe its the starter.anyway long story short got upgraded starter fitted..bang she fires straight up even on those icy days..just make sure your battery is up to the job as well...
The HDI engines will start without the glow plugs easily, even in minus temperatures.

(06-03-2016, 08:41 PM)Growler73 Wrote:  The HDI engines will start without the glow plugs easily, even in minus temperatures.

So true is that. I've not looked but so far as I am aware, the 112bhp variant found in the C4 Picasso doesn't even have glow plugs. If it does, I've certainly never seen the symbol for it on cold mornings. Just turn the key and it fires immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 1.6 L1850 90ps In Artic Steel inc Look Pack and Lighting Pack.
glow plugs on a 2.0 hdi dont light until -2deg . as said fit a heavy duty starter . been there and done it.
Basics first, is the battery in first class condition, have it load tested before assuming it is ok.
MkIII VTR 1.6hdi Modutop, Climate Pack, 16" Alloys