Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sat nav
Any idea how to set this up?  Says cannot connect  but has been previously  used by last owner. 

Regards

Andy
Assuming it's the teletrac satnav. The user licence has expired and you'd need to call teletrac to buy a license. Assuming it is the teletrac don't bother, it's crap as far as satnavs go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 1.6 L1850 90ps In Artic Steel inc Look Pack and Lighting Pack.
Yes I believe it is teletrac. Was hoping I could just replace it with a Tom Tom but not sure if the connections are the same
My £90 smartphone (Huawei Y6) with the £20 CoPilot app is the best sat nav I've ever used. This includes lifetime software and map updates. I also pay the optional £8 per year for traffic updates (included for the first year for the £20).

You'd have to pay more than this for a standalone sat nav with the lovely 5" high-res screen my phone has. It has nice clear sound from the phone, or it can even talk to you through the stereo via Bluetooth if you want

A "sat nav" as a physical object is history - along with pocket cameras, video cameras, MP3 players, etc, etc. The phone does the lot, usually better than any standalone unit ever did.

I just have a cheap rubber sucker mount in the bottom right corner of the screen. I've also hard-wired a micro-USB charger cable so I don't need a dangly fag-lighter thing.
To be honest I use Waze. It's a free app on iPhone, Android and Windows phone. It integrates with Google and users can upload traffic issues, police road works etc. It's by far the best satnav I've used to date and I've tried a lot of satnav programs.

Does Waze use mobile data? The reason I was happy to pay a one-off £20-ish for CoPilot is that I have a Pay-As-You-Go phone, and CoPilot downloads a full UK map when you install it. After that, it only uses mobile data for traffic reports (if you choose to use this option). This keeps me well within my free 100MB data every month, so I pay absolutely nothing per month to the phone provider.
(08-03-2016, 10:09 AM)doofer Wrote:  Does Waze use mobile data?  The reason I was happy to pay a one-off £20-ish for CoPilot is that I have a Pay-As-You-Go phone, and CoPilot downloads a full UK map when you install it.  After that, it only uses mobile data for traffic reports (if you choose to use this option).  This keeps me well within my free 100MB data every month, so I pay absolutely nothing per month to the phone provider.

it does but not for the satnav function - it uses mobile data for live traffic information and for me thats worth the 500mb a month over 2000 odd miles
I also use copilot, I have the full EU version and have used it for a motorcycle trip across France Belgium Germany and Austria and in my van further onto Hungary Romania & Bulgaria.
I'm intending to use it again this year in the Berlingo for another trip to Bulgaria. A function I find valuable is that Copilot will report the local speed limits in MPH the same as my UK speedo and warn me if I go over, which is very useful in Romania where the police regard speeding motorists as their personal cash dispenser !

Google maps is also very good and free , you can also download routes on WiFi before you set off if data is a issue like abroad or if your on PAYG mobile.

I find the scorche magnetic car mounts superb for secure easy mounting of the phone.

Mark

Mark
I suppose it depends on how much you drive, as to how much you should spend on a sat nav. I drive over 75,000 miles a year as a same day courier, and I use a Tom Tom Go Live 1005 which has live traffic info fed to it every 3 minutes. This is the second 1005 that I've owned, and it has literally saved me from hours of being stuck in traffic jams, as it automatically steers me around any major holdups. The traffic subscription is £38 per year. Good though it is, I still occasionally, have to use "Google Maps" on my phone to be directed to newly built roads, not on my Tom Tom's map.

I have used Garmin, Navigon, and CoPilot sat navs in the past, and none were anywhere as good as my Tom Tom. The only good thing about the Garmin which I keep in the van as a spare, is that, you can put in up to 20 drops and it will optimise a route for doing those drops.
Jim, maybe try waze as a back up as it is a google product so new roads are all up to date etc. It also has the added benefit of speed camera locations and users can upload where mobile cameras are for other users to see - again it will give you a warning to let you know there is one.