Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bike rack advice needed for berlingo panel van
Hi all
spot of brains picking here!
I have a 2013 swb berlingo panel van, which I use as an overnight camper. I'm looking for a solution to taking my bike with me - at the moment I put it inside the van, as this is also my sleeping and outdoor kit area its not ideal and requires me to use a tarpaulin to keep the mud off my bedding etc. Ideally I'd like to fit a rear mounted carrier as I'm quite small so roof mounted carriers are awkward, but being a panel van it has side hinged doors which rule out most of the rear carriers designed for cars I'v seen. The van doesnt have a tow bar. So has anyone got any idea on my best options? Is there anything out there which would work, or do I need to get a tow bar fitted? Hoping somebody knows of the perfect product ;-)
You can fit a VW Fiamma bike rack to the back of your van after some modifications.

I keep thinking about it as I run mine with 2/3 bikes inside - great for keeping them secure not so good for the interior!

Here's the other thread on bike racks:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless you want to use the cheap strap on type then only option is probably fit a towbar & use a towball mount carrier. Usually a few towball mount carriers on ebay for under £100 s/h. Fiamma do make rack for vans with hinged doors but not for Berlingo unless you can adapt one but cost new is over £200. Towball mounted type with it's own lights with bike held by wheels & crossbar is best option for safe carriage & ease of use so probably worth the investment. Also most secure as rack locks onto ball & bike can be locked to rack.
Thule carrier on towbar worked well for us.
2015 Cactus Feel BlueHDi
2014 Dispatch Van LWB
Ex 2013 Berlingo XTR 1.6HDi 115 owner
Could you fit the carrier just to the first door that opens?
I have my berlingo for exactley the same thing taking the bike away on weekends riding and racing, I have 2 wheel bags that i use to help keep teh van clean inside, and also have a (12v) powered water hose that i can clean teh frame with if it's that bad, but i've never felt like i've had to yet.
Remember: if you fit a tow bar you need to tell the insurance company as its a "modification" to the vehicle. I was quoted £40 and £260 extra on top of the insurance for this modification.

Its why I have the fammia (sp) VW one fitted to my Teepee.