Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Dipstick
What should be an easy job, checking the oil level, can be innacurate due to oil being dragged up the tube by the dipstick so that when you dip it some oil ends up on the stick from the tube.

What I do is park on a level surface and remove the dipstick and clean it well with a clean lint free cloth moisened with a little white spirit. Dry it and leave to one side while I have a tea.  This gives time for any remaining oil in the tube to drain so when you do a dip, the exact level is easily read on the stick.

I know this all sounds a bit over the top, but give it a try and I'm sure you will get a far more accurate reading.
MkIII VTR 1.6hdi Modutop, Climate Pack, 16" Alloys
Sounds like you have given this some thought Solent - you must be someone who likes to get things right.

I have a 2.0hdi in my Relay van and thats a nightmare the fist time you pull the stick out there is no oil on it! You then have to dip it about 4 times before you get a decent reading, very odd.
I just dip cold before long trips.Never a problem.I have a dash indicator but I don't trust it.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
True story,a woman goes into a garage a few years ago,asked him to order her a new dipstick he says why??,she says I think a bits shaped off the end because there's no oil on it,,OK he said laughing,,he checked and guess what no oil !!!!
As long as you get a rough reading somewhere halfway between "full" and "low" you are ok. No need to get the micrometers out lol!
(16-04-2016, 09:54 PM)Johny555 Wrote:  True story,a woman goes into a garage a few years ago,asked him to order her a new dipstick he says why??,she says I think a bits shaped off the end because there's no oil on it,,OK he said laughing,,he checked and guess what no oil !!!!

You laugh Johny555,

My wife's old Pug 307 that has just been scrapped, same engine an early if not first version of it, 1.6HDi. 3 dipstick ends in the sump. Notorious for breaking apparently according to the Pug dealer. The current dipstick is hopefully a better design. Not had any problems with the Bingo.

Of course, the problems it caused. People over filling their engine to get oil on the dipstick Sad  Not a good idea
It's much easier to see if your oil's a nice deep black colour.