Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tying The Boot Shut?
After a number of deaths and a house move in the family, im getting sick of hiring MWB tranny's and clearing houses.
Its not a money issue as they only cost £45 for 24 hours, its just the hassle of licence checks, bring it back by xx:xx so we can check it Etc.

So today I decided to have a crack at putting part of a L shaped Leather sofa in the back of my Mk2 Berlingo and surprisingly it fit, Just! It measured 70 inches in length and cleared the door and passenger seat (All the way forward and upright) with about 4 inch spare.

Now thats got me thinking, Second bit is 84 inches in length, those 10 inches are going to need to poke out so whats the best way to tie the hatch shut?

On my Toyota I would just chuck a bit of rope over the wiper and tie to the catch loop, My Berlingo has the opening window and the wiper arm is not the strongest and the boot hatch is rather heavy so don't fancy doing that.

Is the pull down strap on the inside strong enough to tie the door down to one of the tie points?
My only other Idea was to use one of my ratchets and put it through the open window then loop down under the the hatch and back to the tie point and tighten gently but Im worried this will scratch the paint or wreck the window seal.

Anyone got experience Tying 10 inches in? Cool
14 Plate Berlingo Multispace XTR
Should also add, I have a roof rack, But the sofa is bloody heavy and Im a short sod whos built like a stick.
Dead lifting it onto the roof isn't really an option.
If you just want to stop the door lifting back up a few strips of gaffer tape will hold it down.
So where does this bit go then ?
What could possibly go wrong? Rolleyes

[Image: overloaded-car.jpg]
MkIII VTR 1.6hdi Modutop, Climate Pack, 16" Alloys
Any chance of a pony in a Berlingo ? Would I need to remove the seats ?[Image: d348d799b7da9e0087d20dc1024fe149.jpg]

Sent from my BUSH 5 Android using Tapatalk
Just an idea: if you screwed in the rear towing/recovery eye into it's hole in the rear bumper, that would make a really strong eye to lash the door down to.
The two eye's in the boot off one out around the boot catch on the door and a double dolly onto the other eye.
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

[+] 1 user says Thank You to Jed Clampit for this post
(20-04-2016, 12:11 PM)CourierJim Wrote:  Just an idea: if you screwed in the rear towing/recovery eye into it's hole in the rear bumper, that would make a really strong eye to lash the door down to.

Strangely, I have 3 towing/recovery eyes in the compartment with the jack. Often wondered if there was a hole in the roof for the third one!

Im sure you normally only get one with a vehicle?
(20-04-2016, 09:27 AM)Solent Wrote:  What could possibly go wrong? Rolleyes

[Image: overloaded-car.jpg]

You joke but I've seen way worse than that on the road before, Half of it fell off when he pulled away at the lights!
I guess you can't fix stupid.
(20-04-2016, 11:03 AM)Satellitemark Wrote:  Any chance of a pony in a Berlingo ? Would I need to remove the seats ?
Sent from my BUSH 5 Android using Tapatalk

Might want a bit of rubber mat action too as it may stain the carpets.