Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wishbones don't match
Music 
Hi Guys Long time lurker first time poster here.
I bought a 55 plate van a few weeks back, a bit rough but what can you expect for £850? anyhow I recently fitted new drop links on the front and noticed that the rubber on  the bottom ball joint on the wishbone was totally perished so have decided to replace this as well but on inspection it would seem that I have different wishbones on both sides.

The near side looks like this
[Image: OSF.jpg]
And the off side looks like this
[Image: NSF.jpg]
So my question is should they be the same on both sides and if not then which set up is best to use?
There was a choice between cast & pressed steel and some one has fitted the wrong one. I would imagine a dealer could tell you the correct one for your car
the top ones are the same as the ones on my 54 plate
My Problem is that the one that needs changing is the same as the top one but I want them to match so can I just fit the bottom one?
The pressed ones are cheaper and you can replace the separate balljoint more easily which is probably why someone fitted that instead of the cast one. The fact that the pressed one is already fitted would suggest that it is alright to fit one to the other side as long as the measurements are the same between the mounting points.
So where does this bit go then ?
(22-04-2016, 08:13 AM)ffrenchie Wrote:  The pressed ones are cheaper and you can replace the separate balljoint more easily which is probably why someone fitted that instead of the cast one. The fact that the pressed one is already fitted would suggest that it is alright to fit one to the other side as long as the measurements are the same between the mounting points.
Thanks ffrenchie thats pretty much what I thought but glad to have it confirmed
Is this the difference between 600kg or 800kg by any chance.. ? The pressed wishbone looks like mk4 Golf...
Black Hyundai i30 1.6CRDI 2011
Silver 1.9D Mutispace desire 2004 DW8B non Turbo..
White 1.9D Van 2005 DW8B non turbo..
Silver MGF 1.8 16v 1999
(22-04-2016, 07:57 PM)ajcommercial Wrote:  Is this the difference between 600kg or 800kg by any chance.. ? The pressed wishbone looks like mk4 Golf...

Mine is the 600kg version and the cast wishbone looks like its been there from new where as the pressed one looks slightly less rusty so could have been changed
(22-04-2016, 08:14 PM)kluch255 Wrote:  
(22-04-2016, 07:57 PM)ajcommercial Wrote:  Is this the difference between 600kg or 800kg by any chance.. ? The pressed wishbone looks like mk4 Golf...

Mine is the 600kg version and the cast wishbone looks like its been there from new where as the pressed one looks slightly less rusty so could have been changed
Also you could be right about the wishbone pic as I found it google images and just checked on ebay and it does look more Golf like
Hi, yhe one that orignally came with my van is the cast type like the one in the top picture. After ball joint failure, (not replaceable on the cast type), I switched to the pressed one. I used them for almost 5 years, but when ball joint and bushes got worn, I decided to go back to the cast type so I have experience of uaing both. After swapping to the cast type, I realised what I had missed without knowing. They are way superior offering perfect steering geometry. After alignment, the car's steering was accurate and the bushes being genuine were very ailent - it felt like a new car. The experience is so great that I can never use the pressed type again.