Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel judder at Speed
Hello, I have noticed on my recently acquired B9 2008 1.6Hdi Multspace XTR that I have quite bad steering wheel judder around about the 70 MPH range. I put it down to needing wheel balancing. I recently took it to my local tyre dealer who informed me the balance of the front wheels was spot on and he couldn't fault the balancing [he didn't charge me] He also checked the tracking and that was also fine after a small tweak. I still have the judder though. Anyone else had the same symptoms? Any ideas? I was thinking maybe it could be the rear wheels out of balance causing it? Or maybe the cheap brand tyres [which wouldn't be my choice] but they all seem to be virtually brand new, so I don't really want to go out and change them until they wear out if I don't have to
You could change the wheels front to rear & compare.Play in steering joints?Wishbone bushes?Strut top mounts?
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
A few months ago I had something similar. Steering wheel would start to shake at 70 (km/h) and then stop at 90. Thought it was a balance problem. Then one day I started hearing a squealing sound so parked it and found left front wheel was really hot. Had it transported to a garage and the brake was the problem. Replaced everything and problem solved.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP. Persamos green.

[Image: ab197646.gif]
A mishapened tyre can cause this. Look for bulges in the tread area (although I would have thought tyre shop would have checked for that)
Get it up to juddering speed then try accelerating and not accelerating. If it only happens when accelerating then it's gearbox or (more likely) driveshaft related.

I've had a binding brake on a previous car, and found it by going for a very careful drive without braking at all - using engine braking only. After stopping, I then found that one brake disk was hot.