Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Side Indicator Repeaters, Sealed Unit - Really?
I find the flash from the side repeaters quite dismal, mainly because the bulb is covered up so it relies on reflection only. I'm looking at getting some higher-brightness LED bulbs with sideways-pointing LEDs so that it shines forwards and backwards and is actually visible. You can see that it's a W5W 501-type wedge bulb through the lens.

However, the manual states this (p.153)...

Side Repeater
Type A WY5W - 5W (amber)
- Push the repeater towards the rear and disengage it by pulling the front.
- Contact a CITROEN dealer to obtain a new repeater which is a sealed component.
- To refit, engage the repeater towards the rear and bring it towards the front.

Is it really a sealed unit? If so then why do they bother telling me what type of bulb is inside, given that I can't even change the thing!

Has anyone tried changing these? I realise I'll need to be careful of the height of the LED bulb due to the cover over the bulb inside, but it should fit OK if I can actually change the thing.

It looks like they've got a bit carried away with cosmetics and put a cover over the top of the bulb to avoid the "fried egg" effect of the yellow bulb in the centre. A nice idea, but it means that it's almost invisible, especially on the odd day when the sun comes out.

I might even try cutting out the bulb cover if I can get into it. LED bulbs aren't yellow when off anyway, so it would be redundant.
...Well, I just pulled it out, and the manual is right - it seems to be glued or welded shut. So it looks like I'm stuck with dim side indicators, unless there's an aftermarket alternative unit.

This is it in fact...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141918232649

So it seems that LEDs are not an option, unless there's an alternative housing available.

What a crappy design - sealing a filament bulb inside. It would be OK with long-lasting LEDs, but this is rubbish.
(22-05-2016, 07:34 PM)doofer Wrote:  ...Well, I just pulled it out, and the manual is right - it seems to be glued or welded shut.  So it looks like I'm stuck with dim side indicators, unless there's an aftermarket alternative unit.

This is it in fact...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141918232649

So it seems that LEDs are not an option, unless there's an alternative housing available.

What a crappy design - sealing a filament bulb inside.  It would be OK with long-lasting LEDs, but this is rubbish.

In most cases that glue is not heat resistant. So you can try to heat it up and try to separate.
Do not go over 100 Celsius. You can heat up some water to around 90 Celsius, just before boiling point and put that light
in water for 15-20 seconds and then try to separate. It would be best to order new from ebay and try with that.
To glue it back together don't use silicone. Silicone acid eats contacts. You can use acrylic silicone safely.

Best regards,
brajomobil
I saw a completely different approach on a Toyota forum...

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/t...ng-fender/

Which was to hacksaw through the neck part.  This looks a bit crazy, but does mean that the exposed unit remains sealed.

I'm thinking now that I'd prefer to find an unit that doesn't have the silly little shroud over the top of the bulb. I've had a few lane-changing incidents where it doesn't seem that other drivers have seen my indicator, which is what set me off thinking about it. I just don't think the design of them is a very good idea at all - cosmetics have ruled over safety.

I'm going to have a hunt around other Citroen models, to see if there's something unsealed with the same connector where the bulb is not covered over.

On the other hand - I could try your good idea of heating it up, open it and cut/file out the bulb cover part. I'd probably use epoxy glue to reseal - there's no way that would ever crack or fall apart.
I think I'm going to order a couple of these, together with LED bulbs...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121624345660

This is from the previous model Berlingo. It looks like it's exactly the same connector and hopefully the same size, but with a replaceable bulb and without the bulb cover. You do get the "fried egg" effect with these if using yellow bulbs, which is why they added the bulb cover in later models, but I'll be fitting LED bulbs that are silver/grey coloured anyway.
They look the same on pic. Hope they are the same size.

Don't forget to post the result  Wink

Best regards,
brajomobil
I've seen late previous model Berlingos with the clear side inidicators fitted, so this suggests that they are interchangeable.

E.g. this is the "Electrique" version that they were showing at one point...

I've ordered two from this seller...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331700471406

As soon as I get them I'll check they fit and work. Then I can check the height of bulb that will fit inside them before I order the meanest LED bulbs I can find. I'll be getting the ones with multiple LEDs facing in all directions.

While it was sunny yesterday, I switched on the hazards and had a walk around it. It's a good experiment to try. If you're at about 45 degrees to the side and beyond, either in front or behind, then they're nice and bright as you get sight of the bulb itself. But if you're any squarer to the side than 45 degrees you basically can't see them - you get a bit of reflection from the ends of the reflector and that's it. Basically, if you're at an angle where you can actually see that they're flashing then you can also see the front or back indicator anyway, so they don't do the job they're supposed to - which is to warn people to your side that you're heading their way.

This confirms to my mind that they're a crap design. I've had a couple of near-misses when changing into the middle lane, where the other person seemed genuinely surprised. Having looked at them, I can understand why.

I think they've messed these up in the interests of cosmetics - they wanted the clear look, but have ignored the fact that they don't do the job they're supposed to do. The fact that they made them a chuckaway design at the same time makes them double-rubbish. What do you do in countries where you're required to carry a set of spare bulbs - does everyone carry a spare indicator unit or two? It's nonsense.

I'll add details and piccies when I get them fitted.
I'm pleased to say that the old-style Berlingo side indicators are a straight swap. Same size, shape and connector. There are two main differences:

- You can twist the white bit and change the bulb
- You can see the thing flashing when you're stood to the side of it

I fitted one, and put the hazards on and we both had a walk around it to compare, while the sun was out. The old-style one wins on every score really, except for the light level when you're at an oblique angle - where you can actually see the bulb on the new-style one.

I'm now going to find an amber-blaster LED replacement for the bulb that will fit inside it, and will report back when it's complete.

I think I actually prefer the look of the old-style one too - it's simpler and cleaner looking.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to doofer for this post