Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mudflaps......
just wondering if any other owners have fitted their berlingo with mudflaps?

my old....ish (22 years young!) isuzu trooper has them fitted, and before my berlingo my old toyota carina had them as well.

I hadn't owned my berlingo for long and I noticed the back window was always dirty. (like the wife ehh?)

I wondered if a set of mudflaps of ebay would make any difference.  (to the car!)

So i bought a cheap fits all set for peanuts of good all fleabay. had the citroen logo on them so happy days.

Made one of hell of a difference! The rear of the car is alot cleaner. so is the sides.  (i fitted front and rear)

So, I got to noticing, does fitting mudflaps make your wife...........No I mean your car.........

less dirty? 

No what i mean is, has any other berlingo owner retrofitted them and noticed a difference to the muck thrown up on to the rear window.
Cool
I haven't - but did you notice any difference in mpg afterwards?
I think the muck on the rear window comes over the roof on our car but the fronts definitely save the sides of the car from a lot of mud splash. After extensive research I think the fuel consumption may have gone up by as much as 0.0837% so will be removing them immediately. Just had a rethink as I will probably spend more on car washing so will leave them for now. (only kidding, as I hope you were as well cliffy Big Grin The question never even crossed my mind))
So where does this bit go then ?
I've noticed it keeps.my m59 cleaner since fitting, I live on a farm so they are essential
(19-06-2016, 06:48 AM)cliffy Wrote:  I haven't - but did you notice any difference in mpg afterwards?

Yes. well, since i've changed the tyres and used BG244, I now get 500 miles to a tank rather than 400 when i first bought the car. 
Cannot say if adding mud flaps would make a difference to mpg.

Are you saying this is why you no longer see cars fitted with them? mpg?  Huh
I've got the official Citroen mudflaps on the rear only, fitted from new so I can't compare with/without.  But I can say that the back stays a lot cleaner than my previous estate car, despite being more upright.  So I think they do a pretty good job.  These are rigid plastic, and blend well with the bodywork.  They weren't very expensive - I think around £30 fitted.

Front flaps are also available, but they're not compatible with the little side skirts that are fitted to various models including mine.

A piccy of mine - they're partly visible in this, the best I could find...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2052]
Never thought of that Idea, I've been using Rain-x on the back window to keep it clear.
Are Mudflaps easy to fit ? (For a automotive novice like me!)
14 Plate Berlingo Multispace XTR
(08-07-2016, 11:15 PM)Hughzie Wrote:  Never thought of that Idea, I've been using Rain-x on the back window to keep it clear.
Are Mudflaps easy to fit ? (For a automotive novice like me!)

yes very easy. I bought some of ebay with the citroen logo on them. set of four. I didn't use the screws provided, instead I used pot rivets. 

The mudflaps have made a massive difference in keeping the car clean.  

and i am still puzzled why cars are not fitted with them anymore??
[+] 1 user says Thank You to dieselj for this post
I particularly specified mudflaps when I bought my car as I noticed when following them (on a motorcycle) just how much water Berlingos kick up at the back, I guess it's because of the short distance between rear wheels and the back.

The rear window gets wet in rain of course, but never filthy dirty.
MkIII VTR 1.6hdi Modutop, Climate Pack, 16" Alloys
I think you get a low-pressure vortex at the back of any car that sucks the water onto the window. A flat back or wheels near the back make it worse - both of which the Berlingo has.

Rear flaps are great, plus you're being nice to everyone else.