Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xtr 2016 tpms direct or indirect
Hi

Any idea if berlingo got in 2016 indirect tpms based on esp/abs sensors not tyre sensor ?

Asking because not sure which one I have .....

Wysłane z mojego SM-G925F przy użyciu Tapatalka
I was asking my local Cit dealer just this as I have heard stories of spare having no monitor causing warning light to be on with spare fitted & he said that current Berlingo models have abs sensors & do not light warning light with spare fitted.
Take a picture of your valves and post, if it's rubber it's abs based, if it's aluminium with a nut like collar it's sensor based Wink
Mine's got sensors, and the valve stems look 100% completely normal - they're just smooth rubber with no nuts.

Mine's a pre-facelift 64-reg.  I believe that "proper" TPMS (with transmitter valves) is now a legal requirement within the EU.  I don't think the ABS monitoring systems are sufficient any more, but I'm not sure about it - I can't find any clear rules from a quick google, but I'm sure the info's out there somewhere.

If you have steel wheels then, if you compare the spare and one of the others you'll see that even though they're all black rubber, the valve on the spare is a slightly different shape to the rest.  This is because it is a standard one, while the rest are sensors.  If you have alloys then they may be a different valve anyway, sensors or not.

The best way of telling is to put the spare on and go for a drive.  You'll get a warning about a missing sensor, as they only activate when turning, so even if the fourth one is mounted as the spare it still won't be transmitting.  It might take 10 or 20 miles to tell you about it, so go for a decent length journey.

Don't let a tyre down to test it!  It won't tell you about it while parked anyway, and you don't want to go for a drive with a flat just to try it out.

This is what they look like...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130639266549

Don't rely on the cosmetic appearance of the stem though - there are several different makes that look slightly different. But they do look exactly like standard valves when fitted, so there's no easy way to tell.
I called authorised dealer ..since ca april of 2016 only abs based sensor has been assembled

The new style tpms tyre valves, do look identical to the normal rubber valves , it is also no easy to replace the stems & at a reasonable cost.
You cannot tell if they are present on the car until the tyre is removed.
They are mandatory on all new cars sold now.
(06-07-2016, 09:53 PM)Lighty Wrote:  The new style tpms tyre valves, do look identical to the normal rubber valves , it is also no easy to replace the stems & at a reasonable cost.
You cannot tell if they are present on the car until the tyre is removed.
They are mandatory on all new cars sold now.
No its not..this is new "old vw" tpms technology currently adopted by citroen which measure some parameters using only esp/abs module attached to axles...if one or more wheel parameters are different then those saved by driver during recalibration process info will be display on dashboard...alles .it's cheaper (cost reduction ) and more convenient for users (you could change rims,tyres etc without any programing by service ) however less adequate to real parameters.

I really wouldn't believe the Citroen dealer about it. What they're saying sounds very unlikely, as my understanding is that it wouldn't be legal in the EU.

The EU TPMS laws state that it must be specifically a "pressure based" system, i.e. not just one that checks the relative wheel speeds.
Call dealer and ask if you don't belive but ask about current production of berlingo not late 2015 etc ..I asked Warsaw main citroen office and my local in Kielce ..both said the same ..esp abs only

It doesn't matter to me - I know my 2014 model has sensors as I had a tyre changed and I looked at it! I've also driven with the spare on and got all the warnings.

I don't think what you're being told is correct, as Poland is in the EU and if it's true then Citroen are selling cars illegally.