Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driver's side window
I have a 2008 Berlingo and the driver's side electric window is going only down, no matter if the switch is on "up" or "down" position. Window moves freely downwards and rises up when rotating manually the electric motor. I measured the voltages from the connector inside the door panel and they were the same regardless the position of the of the switch. Any ideas where the problem is?

Thanks in advance, Timppa
Have you tried to swap the switches from the passenger side to see if the switch is faulty?

Thanks Mark,

Good idea. Do you know how the switches should be disconnected from the dashboard?
Sorry I've not done it, another test could be to measure voltage on passenger side to see how it compares which might be easier.

Sent from my BUSH 5 Android using Tapatalk
Could you not just make up some Jumper leads with some wire so you can leave the switch in situ and just extend the drivers side wires across to the passenger?
14 Plate Berlingo Multispace XTR
By coincidence I've just had a similar problem with my B9. I squirted some wd40 into the switch and did the hokey cokey with it, up down up down a few times with ignition off.

Then try with ignition on, it worked for me.
In a previous life (when I was on the Volvo Owners Forum before the old flying brick died) I had the same problem which turned out to be dirty contacts in the switch. It was relatively easy to get the Volvo switch out and apart and I took a dry pot scourer to the contacts. They were quite black, presumably from years of arcing every time the switch was used.
Friend of mine has a Kangoo which had the same problem and some contact cleaner sorted it. Switches in that are on the door and prone to collect dirt though.
So where does this bit go then ?
Great, thank for the advice!

I'm now heading for a few days holiday but after that I will try to play around with the switches.
I'd suggest contact cleaner too. With the ignition off and after opening a door so it won't operate, squirt it all around the switch so it runs inside then give it lots of switching, to hopefully rub/wash away the muck. After leaving it to dry for a few minutes, switch on the ignition and give it a try.

I don't know what the electrical properties of WD40 are - if it insulates then it might stop it working, but if it conducts then that may be worse. The point of contact cleaner is that it evaporates completely really quickly, leaving nothing behind. WD40 leaves oil behind after the solvent has gone.

Contact cleaner is normally just a liquid form of a gas - butane, propane or a mix. You can also use lighter refill gas. Obviously no smoking either way!