Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tailgate awnings?
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good tailgate awning that is fairly compact and easy to set up please?

I have looked online at Kyham, Vaude Drive Van & Drive Wing, Amdro, Cayman Tail & Reimo (hangs on open boot door).
Does anyone know of a smallish Reimo that enables the boot to be closed?

Many thanks, berligagogo
Hi

I've just bought a secondhand Amdro Boot Jump complete with a Caranex h4tl tailgate awning. The awning looks good and the tailgate can be used open or closed. The awning is also free-standing so can be left on site when driving off for the day. Initially I wanted a Kyham awning but I aim to try the Caranex out this weekend and hopefully it will do the job.

Bob
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Shropshirehills for this post
(12-07-2016, 07:20 AM)Shropshirehills Wrote:  Hi

I've just bought a secondhand Amdro Boot Jump complete with a Caranex h4tl tailgate awning. The awning looks good and the tailgate can be used open or closed. The awning is also free-standing so can be left on site when driving off for the day. Initially I wanted a Kyham awning but I aim to try the Caranex out this weekend and hopefully it will do the job.

Bob

Hi Bob just about to go the same route as you re boot jump and awning but really wanted an air awning. As a solo lady camper I find the air tent I have really easy to put up and down this is why I would like an air awning but finding it a bit difficult to find one to fit the Belingo.
How are you getting on with your set up It would be really usefull to know. Smile
Thanks
Wendy
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seconds-b...58157.html any good to you?
[+] 1 user says Thank You to miccheck1516 for this post
I  have used a Packashack  rear awning for a few years now , good bit of kit but it depends on the tailgate needs to be raised when in use. Car used mainly as a day van and the rear awning is easy to put up and take down in a short time . We have a Fiamma 1.9 mtr Caravanstore side awning fitted to a bar on the roof system, used with side panels this is great in camping mode .
Have seen other berlingos with various adapted and utilised awnings on rear and side , often think of the storage weight and size in comparison to the very lightweight Packashack.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to urgbug for this post
Thank you for the replies very helpful....I do have an air porch for my air tent and thought I would try attaching that to the belingo it works ok on the side but a bit worried about it rubbing the paint work ...its a throw over the car and guy rope down.. a rear one would work better if you could close the tail gate at night...thanks again
After trying a Sunncamp Silhouette Motor 225 awning & finding the connecting sleeve is not long enough for the Berlingo tailgate I've brought a Khyam tailgate awning. It's easy for one person to erect but the pack is massive!
The Sunncamp did fit the side doors well. The Sunncamp has an integral groundsheet, the Khyam has none. The materials of the Sunncamp appear better than the Khyam yet the Khyam is much more expensive.
The tailgate can be closed or open. I do not have roof rails fitted. I secure the roof guys using two screw eyes fitted into the forward roof bar fitting holes. These two fixings plus two ground pegs fixes the awning connecting sleeve perfectly.
I have seen videos of the Vaude & I don't like the fit. Most other awnings seem to rely on the tailgate being open to support them.
All in all I think the Khyam is the best option available.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Dengieken for this post
(19-08-2016, 12:06 AM)miccheck1516 Wrote:  http://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seconds-b...58157.html any good to you?

Hi this looks like a good compromise has anyone here used one to give some feed back ? ...Thank you Smile
(18-08-2016, 06:22 PM)Wendy Houston Wrote:  
(12-07-2016, 07:20 AM)Shropshirehills Wrote:  Hi

Bob

Hi Bob just about to go the same route as you re boot jump and awning but really wanted an air awning. As a solo lady camper I find the air tent I have really easy to put up and down this is why I would like an air awning but finding it a bit difficult to find one to fit the Belingo.
How are you getting on with your set up It would be really usefull to know. Smile
Thanks
Wendy
Wendy - a very belated hi. Sorry but I hadn't subscribed to this thread and have only recently seen your post. Hopefully, you have now got your Boot Jump and tried it out.

I have used mine several times and think the design and the construction are brilliant and worth the price, especially secondhand. It needs an awning for extended camping but the Caranex that came with my Boot Jump blocked the rear view out of the car and one of the delights I find is to sit inside on the seat, or even in bed with the boot open and gazing at the scenery - especially at a secluded Welsh coastal site facing the evening sun setting over the Lleyn Peninsular.

An awning is needed to store equipment and provide shelter for cooking and for moving bedding around. As a solo camper I don't bother dropping the table down and sleep on one side with my gear on the other and it's very comfy. I also had an auto-electrician fit me a simple switch on the inside of the rear door so I can open it from inside - well worth it.

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on an air awning - have you seen the Kampa ones? I've only seen them online but they look good.

Cheers

Bob