Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocker cover oil leak
I have a look around the rocker cover and looks like below that too which I believe is a sealed rather than a runner gasket. My question is, do I have to remove the timing belt cover to gain access to do this? Any help would be great
It would help if you told us what engine you are talking about.
Are we there yet????? No we fecking ain`t  gggggrrrrrrr
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Sorry forgot about that. It's a 1.9 deisel (DE8B)
When I did mine I found it easier than I was expecting but you will need, 4x inlet manifold 'O' rings, the top gasket and don't bother with the lower gasket as it will not fit so get some good quality silicone gasket in a tube. I used Hylomar but it just blew out so I got some proper stuff from e-bay.
 With the top plate off, remove the EGR and inlet manifold and take this opportunity to clean it all out. The top part of the rocker cover comes off easy and the lower part is 4 or 6 bolts ( can't remember ). Clean the serfaces off properly or the new silicone will not glue properly. I put a smear of silicone gasket on the cam box and a bead on the cam box cover before refitting. Then new gasket on the top part and woosh bang done. Refit the manifold with new 'O'rings ( smear of WD on the 'O' rings to help them slip home ), refit the cleaned EGR and drive... I did it with a cold engine and left it overnight for the instant Gasket to go off. I have cured the oil leak and there has been no oil leak for 5k miles..
  If you are OK with tools it should take around 2hrs if you take your time and get it right plus the time to clean the EGR and manifold as this depends on how bunged up it is and how clean you want it.

Good luck.. Wink
[+] 1 user says Thank You to ajcommercial for this post
(14-07-2016, 09:23 PM)ajcommercial Wrote:  When I did mine I found it easier than I was expecting but you will need, 4x inlet manifold 'O' rings, the top gasket and don't bother with the lower gasket as it will not fit so get some good quality silicone gasket in a tube. I used Hylomar but it just blew out so I got some proper stuff from e-bay.
 With the top plate off, remove the EGR and inlet manifold and take this opportunity to clean it all out. The top part of the rocker cover comes off easy and the lower part is 4 or 6 bolts ( can't remember ). Clean the serfaces off properly or the new silicone will not glue properly. I put a smear of silicone gasket on the cam box and a bead on the cam box cover before refitting. Then new gasket on the top part and woosh bang done. Refit the manifold with new 'O'rings ( smear of WD on the 'O' rings to help them slip home ), refit the cleaned EGR and drive... I did it with a cold engine and left it overnight for the instant Gasket to go off. I have cured the oil leak and there has been no oil leak for 5k miles..
  If you are OK with tools it should take around 2hrs if you take your time and get it right plus the time to clean the EGR and manifold as this depends on how bunged up it is and how clean you want it.

Good luck.. Wink

i paid £18 for a thick rubber gasket off ebay, complete waste of money , used some black RTV ,i think ,proper gear ,been fine for a couple of 3 years now
03 1.9DLX van
[+] 1 user says Thank You to stevetiler for this post