Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Timing Belt Replacement issue
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice and Im hoping someone can help before I go bald. Have had to replace timing belt on 1.6hdi 2008 berlingo van due to water pump failure, also rough running and think that the timing belt had slipped a tooth or two as shuddering when driving. A couple of questions.....
A - Is it ok to lock cam in place and rotate crankshaft separately to locking hole position without the belt on? Roughly needs to rotate about an inch to get there.
B - Fuel pump alignment went all over the place, I have seen that as long as you align the sprocket holes vertically this is ok?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. First time belt changer, driving me nuts but loving my berlingo, 110 000 miles together on the road. Don't want to break her intentionally!!!

Thanks everyone.
Yes that's fine, but if you feel a *mechanical stop* don't force it. Fuel pump isn't really timed on common rail engines so don't fret on that_ it's just a pump.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Col for this post
(15-07-2016, 11:14 AM)Col Wrote:  Yes that's fine, but if you feel a *mechanical stop* don't force it. Fuel pump isn't really timed on common rail engines so don't fret on that_ it's just a pump.

Thanks so much Col, thars a relief. Only toghtness i get isxwhen turning cranksgaft (with belt on) but i believe that to be the conpression as can be overcome after a mouthfyl of spinach ;-). Will do this afternoon and post uodate. Thanks very much for speedy reply!
(15-07-2016, 11:43 AM)pern2808 Wrote:  
(15-07-2016, 11:14 AM)Col Wrote:  Yes that's fine, but if you feel a *mechanical stop* don't force it. Fuel pump isn't really timed on common rail engines so don't fret on that_ it's just a pump.

Thanks so much Col, thars a relief. Only toghtness i get isxwhen turning cranksgaft (with belt on) but i believe that to be the conpression as can be overcome after a mouthfyl of spinach ;-). Will do this afternoon and post uodate. Thanks very much for speedy reply!

Thank you again Col. Afternoon of sweat and van is running sweet again. Fab advice. Thank you.
Well done.Another skill to add to your list Big Grin.& thanks to Col for the advice.It really is a great forum.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
One thing to take note of, do NOT turn the camshaft backwards ever!
I did this once & the chain in the head slipped. It cost me a whole heap of money & time to fix.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Lighty for this post
(15-07-2016, 05:58 PM)ron Wrote:  Well done.Another skill to add to your list Big Grin.& thanks to Col for the advice.It really is a great forum.

Lol been licking those windows this morning.  thanks
(15-07-2016, 08:18 PM)Lighty Wrote:  One thing to take note of, do NOT turn the camshaft backwards ever!
I did this once & the chain in the head slipped. It cost me a whole heap of money & time to fix.

Hi lighty, no definately didnt turn it backwards!!! Thanks for your input.