Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heater fan U/S
Hello everyone  Smile

Long time no write as the car's just been getting on with it's on with no probs. Until this week when the interior fan has stopped working.

No warning, no previous errors - just stopped. On the hottest week of the year - coincidence?

Anyway, the car is a 2008, with A/C . I've looked in the manual and at various fuses but there isn't one listed I can see for the interior fan  Huh

So, I have logged in here and done a search and I see that resistors can pack up on earlier models - is this a known thing with the B9 generation too?

Does anyone have a clue where I should look next?

Is there a fuse for the interior fan and if so where is it / which one is it? I've checked numbers 4 and 14 as they say for the A/C circuit and they both look fine.

Any ideas / help welcomed!  Smile

Regards, James
In a b9 from memory it's in the engine bay fusebox (psf1) and it's a 40a fuse, heater resistors are always gonna be a problem forever on anything with one! Get access to the fan and with the fan switched on and engine running check you have voltage across the terminals ie use the fans earth and live only not just chassis earth and the 12v side, if this reads 12v it's your fan, if not find the resistor and use the 12v side of the fan plug (check this with chassis on black lead of multi meter) and check the earth feed from the switch for the earth and see if you can get 12v again if so you can try shorting the resistor plug out and if the fan works it's a resistor issue...
[+] 1 user says Thank You to dumdum for this post
(26-07-2016, 08:45 AM)dumdum Wrote:  In a b9 from memory it's in the engine bay fusebox (psf1) and it's a 40a fuse, heater resistors are always gonna be a problem forever on anything with one! Get access to the fan and with the fan switched on and engine running check you have voltage across the terminals ie use the fans earth and live only not just chassis earth and the 12v side, if this reads 12v it's your fan, if not find the resistor and use the 12v side of the fan plug (check this with chassis on black lead of multi meter) and check the earth feed from the switch for the earth and see if you can get 12v again if so you can try shorting the resistor plug out and if the fan works it's a resistor issue...

Cheers DumDum  Smile

I'll check the fuses under the bonnet but the other stuff sounds more serious than I can handle tbh. Still, if I end up going to an Auto Electrician I can point them in the right direction!
OK, well due the cars coil packs failing the car went in to the garage last week and they had a look at the internal fan while they had it.

They found no voltage at the heater or resistor and then ran out of time and will have to have another look soon.

Dumdum - with your procedure above, would the lack of electrics inside be consistent with a failed resistor? OR is there a relay or similar somewhere in the system? Fuses checked out ok