Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 brake ligths blown less than year after last ones
Howdo.
Couldn't believe it when a friendly copper helpfully pointed out today that both my brake bulbs had gone, I only had them changed late last year!
Is it just bad luck or likely a symptom of some underlying problem?
Would I be better considering longer lasting LED replacements, are they legal, if so can anyone recommend any from Amazon?

Thanks
Start simple check your fuses first - replace blown bulbs with a good quality brand of standard bulb - then take it from there.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post
Thanks. Is there any point spending a little more on LED in the hope of longer life?
LED lamps can cause problems and generally not worth the hastle on things like stop lights IMO.

I do believe some of the lads have fitted LED's with varying results but a decent standard lamp should last between 20-40k depending on use.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post
I've got LED indicators all round, sidelights, reversing lights and interior lights. But headlights and rear red lights/brake lights are different - they have to be an exact shade/focus and precisely the right brightness level. Otherwise they would dazzle or confuse everyone, e.g. make people think you're braking when you're not or look like foglights.

My indicators are a bit brighter than normal ones, but you don't indicate for hours on end in someone's face behind you. The same with the reversing lights - my LED ones are superb - they're like rear headlights, but I don't generally reverse towards people.

It can only be a matter of time before someone makes an officially approved LED replacement bulb, but for now I wouldn't recommend it.

Decent quality bulbs are probably the way to go. Plus stop braking so much, you're wearing them out!