Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2006 1.6hdi - indicators on the blink (sorry).
Ten days ago we locked our trusty Berlingo and went on holiday. On returning, unlocked the vehicle but got the usual manic 'you've done something silly' bleeping and 'Economy mode active' on the display.
The car started and ran fine and the bleeping stopped so we put it down to being one of those things.
Yesterday was the same except this time the indicators aren't working properly and their behaviour is inconsistent. Sometimes they work perfectly, sometimes you flick the switch and there's none of the usual clicking that accompanies the turn signal, and I don't think the dashboard arrows illuminate either.
Switch them off/on a few times and they start to work again, and today while waiting a long time at a junction they stopped and then restarted without intervention.
Any clues on best place to start please folks? Is the switch favourite or is there a relay perhaps, or maybe the flasher unit? I found one thread where switch cleaner on the column switch resolved an indicator problem - but what's with all the bleeping?
The car is 10 years old admittedly, but well cared for. A few weeks back it cost us an annual service, MOT, new aircon condenser, 4 new tyres, and a brake fluid change so I could do with this being a nice simple DIY fix! Thanks in anticipation.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
'56 Multispace 1.6HDi - Iron Grey
Try disconnecting battery,
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Johny555 for this post
Thanks for that. Disconnected for about 20 minutes. Reconnected and reset date/time. Still says Economy Mode Active but indicators seem to be working OK - at least while stationary. No bleeping until I opened driver's door when it fired up again, stopped, and then did a couple more. It's like when you open the door without removing the key from the ignition - know what I mean?
Will be using it again tomorrow so will report back.

Just a quick question How old is the Battery and when did it last have a full trickle charge?
"Communication is the Key to everything"
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Pdamo for this post
Good point. Battery is January 2015. Not new, and although the car gets used pretty much daily it does do quite a few <10 mile trips (though oddly the day before leaving it did a 60 mile round trip).
I've never done a top-up charge since fitting this battery but I'll check level and alternator output tomorrow and maybe put it on charge overnight asap. Thanks for the tips folks.

(04-10-2016, 12:45 PM)pidgeonpost Wrote:  Ten days ago we locked our trusty Berlingo and went on holiday. On returning, unlocked the vehicle but got the usual manic 'you've done something silly' bleeping and 'Economy mode active' on the display.
The car started and ran fine and the bleeping stopped so we put it down to being one of those things.
Yesterday was the same except this time the indicators aren't working properly and their behaviour is inconsistent. Sometimes they work perfectly, sometimes you flick the switch and there's none of the usual clicking that accompanies the turn signal, and I don't think the dashboard arrows illuminate either.
Switch them off/on a few times and they start to work again, and today while waiting a long time at a junction they stopped and then restarted without intervention.
Any clues on best place to start please folks? Is the switch favourite or is there a relay perhaps, or maybe the flasher unit? I found one thread where switch cleaner on the column switch resolved an indicator problem - but what's with all the bleeping?
The car is 10 years old admittedly, but well cared for. A few weeks back it cost us an annual service, MOT, new aircon condenser, 4 new tyres, and a brake fluid change so I could do with this being a nice simple DIY fix! Thanks in anticipation.

You have indicator switch problem. You can try to fix it :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m27z4nlWU5Q

Eco mode turns on because your indicator stay "ON" . Or at least ECU thinks they are ON.

Best regards,
brajomobil
[+] 1 user says Thank You to brajomobil for this post
(05-10-2016, 06:31 AM)brajomobil Wrote:  
(04-10-2016, 12:45 PM)pidgeonpost Wrote:  Ten days ago we locked our trusty Berlingo and went on holiday. On returning, unlocked the vehicle but got the usual manic 'you've done something silly' bleeping and 'Economy mode active' on the display.

You have indicator switch problem. You can try to fix it :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m27z4nlWU5Q

Eco mode turns on because your indicator stay "ON" . Or at least ECU thinks they are ON.

Best regards,
brajomobil
Thanks brajamobil. I've only had chance to watch half the video but it doesn't look like a five minute fix even for this guy who is familiar with the process.
The vid doesn't cover getting the unit off the car and back on (disarming airbags etc) but this may well be covered on other vids.
Can't say I fancy the job myself but
I guess getting a price from my local Citroen dealer may make me consider having a go.
Thanks again for this.

OK, so a couple weeks on and things had settled back to normal. We'd taken the car into our local dealer who said there were no errors stored according to the diagnostics. They agree that it might be the indicator unit itself but as it's likely be be upwards of £300 for the part they suggest leaving it until the fault goes solid. They sold the car new and have serviced it ever since so they know it well.
Then yesterday while I had a couple of doors open it started bleeping intermittently again - like when you've left the ignition key in. Does anyone have any opinions on non-genuine units please if push comes to shove? Thanks.
It may be worth having a word with this guy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMM-2000-PEUG...xyF0pTgGxf
If my memory is correct he used to be a member on the forum, perhaps drop him a line and see if he may be able to repair it for you. Just a thought.
Are we there yet????? No we fecking ain`t  gggggrrrrrrr
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Thanks for that! It seems there are few out there offering repair services. Unfortunately I can't find one local to me and taking the car off the road for maybe a week or so to allow for turnaround is tricky at the moment. But thanks - it may be I end up having to go down that route.