Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To flush or not to flush
Taking into consideration the 1.6 hdi's known issues of the sump not completely draining and the turbo oil pick up blocking, what are members thoughts and experiences of using a engine oil flush treatment when changing the oil ?

While we are on the subject any thoughts on National tyre services who can do a oil (Titan GT1 Pro C-2 5W-30) PSA approved 

and filter change with flush for £46.11 using a code dev125 for 10% off, when looking on eBay the oil was £33 delivered.

All input welcomed

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I've always thought a flush was a good idea, but I'm wondering whether it is if a lesser grade is used for the flush - it might be better to leave some muck in there than to have a percentage of cheap oil mixed in.

So perhaps the best bet is to use decent synthetic oil for the flush. In which case, how long do you leave it in there before draining it? If you leave it longer then it will pull more muck out, but you're running with slightly dirty oil during this time.

Perhaps the best bet is to not flush at all, but to change the oil more frequently if you're worried about it?

I just stick to the service intervals, which means annually for us as it's a 16k interval. I trust in the power of the oil filter to grab the rubbish and keep hold of it.
Thanks Doofer , any opinions on nationwide and the Fuchs oil anyone ?

Fully agree with doofer, just change the oil and filter more often. I've not used Fuchs oil personally but if it meets the specs it will be ok. Some insist on the recommended Total oil, I use Mobil 1 ESP as it was a good price. I'm sure you are aware of fitting the new filter correctly.

Remember that Opie oils sponsor us, add the code BERLINGO at checkout for a discount.
MkIII VTR 1.6hdi Modutop, Climate Pack, 16" Alloys
I was thinking of letting Nationwide do it as the price is so good and they are Google certified which means £1000 cover of they botch it, however , I could live without the grief of having to claim or looking for a replacement, they have a good trust pilot score , a similar fixed price Citroen oil change is over double the cost.

I've taken two cars to Nationwide in the past for oil changes and they damaged them both by stripping the threads on the sump plugs. I'd not trust them to start a fire in a match factory.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Growler73 for this post
That settles it then, I'll avoid !
I wish I could hire a ramp for half a day and do it myself ! Even if ended up costing more, I'd enjoy doing it and knowing it was OK.
My days of crawling around on the floor are pretty much over !

If you're anywhere near Reading bring it over to my house and I'll do it for you. It'll give me something to do on one of my many days off shift Smile

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Growler73 for this post
Thanks for the kind offer, it's a bit far , but it might be possible as I would love to learn how to do it from someone who knows what they are doing.

Mike's still under warranty, so I have to get it serviced formally to keep the warranty - I wouldn't fancy proving that I'd done it based on receipts for the parts.

Next year though, I'm going to have its last garage service but get them to fit a drain tap instead of the sump plug. So after this, I just plug in a hose and drain into a container with no splash and mess.

I haven't yet looked in detail though - if the filter needs access from underneath I probably won't bother and will get a garage to change the oil but do the rest myself, as I did for years with the previous car. I bought the oil and filter of my choice and just paid their labour, no gimmicky warranties etc.

I've always bought the correct grade, fully synthetic oil at the lowest price. I've bought Asda and Wilko oil before, and nothing exploded!

Low ash rated oil is recommended with a DPF, but I'm suspicious of how critical this is so have never bothered with it - consider the few ml of oil that actually gets burnt in comparison to the 1000s of litres of diesel, which now contains a percentage of veg oil these days. Any difference has to be a drop in the ocean.