Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Starter motor advice
About 18 months to 2 years ago I had a new starter motor fitted. The car would periodically just not even try to start, it would just click. I had to bump it to get it going. It did this on and off for short while till I replaced the starter.

It's been fine since, until tonight. It's just done the same again which makes me think the starter is again on it's way out. I had to bump it and then it went and also re-started first time everytime afterwards.

Have I just got unlucky with a poor replacement starter that's now failing or is something else possibly causing the starter to die prematurely?

Any views advice or experiences?
Check the starter directly. If it will not rotate crankshaft, just replace it.
I can give you only this advice.
What means "directly": "constant plus" and "constant minus" takes from battery (don't forget about wires. starter "eats" approx. 180-300 Amps from battery); also use second "plus" wire to connect it to pull-in solenoid.

[+] 1 user says Thank You to pk7478 for this post
I will need to have a look at it when I get chance and test it. Could the solenoid be at fault?

Started fine this morning.
What can be:
1. Faulty solenoid
2. Wear of brushes.
3. No "minus" on power unit.
4. "Dead" battery.
5. Blown fuse in BSI, BSM, PCF(which is under BSM).
[+] 2 users say Thank You to pk7478 for this post
a zx i had did the clicking as you was the positive battery was loose not on the battery but the lead into the terminal.i was so mad when i found it because it had been like it for years,even replaced starter motor..
I replaced the starter tonight after much messing about as it's tucked away and not the easiest to access at all!

I also stuck a new battery on as I was still on the original Tudor which is over 7 years old now.

I spent far longer on it that I should have. With working partly blind and by feel and touch, I disconnected the two nuts for the power leads and removed motor. When I came to refit found there were three leads knocking about which caused some confusion.

I hadn't seen that positive had two connectors when I took it off so was a bit unsure about the re-connection.

Anyway, they did both come from the same connector. Put all back together, took it for a run and all fine and it's not smouldering on the driveway as we speak, so job done.