Thread Rating:
  • 24 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Day running lights - FYI
A while back I posted that I had enabled the day running lights via my Lexia and that they appear to be the normal low beam lights. They come on about one second or slightly less after starting the engine.

Last night I noticed something interesting. When the day running lights are on you can blip them to high beams by pulling back on the stalk but when you release the stalk they revert to low beams. Just for grins last night I turned on the headlights by twisting the ring on the stalk and the lights brightened and I could see 50% further than just with the day running lights. The high beams can be toggled to stay on with the stalk when the headlights are turned on by rotating the ring on the stalk.

So it appears that the daytime running lights that come on automatically when the car is started are running at a lower power than normal low beams. Good to know since I had been driving at night with the automatic lights on thinking they were normal low beams.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

Yes this has always been the case that day running lights run at lower voltage to preserve bulbs. Obviously current Berls have this programmed in. Dunno about Swiss but all UK spec cars have headlight flash by pulling back stalk with lights off & this obviously still functions if DRLs are on. In the UK drivers are now much more ready to put headlights on in poor daytime light than once they were but the idea of having DRLs by law is not generally well received here.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Opensauce for this post:
  • 3rensho
Thanks for the input. I have read on the internet that the DRL's run at lower voltage but others say it's the same voltage. It was a bit confusing. Here in Switzerland it's not the law (yet) but many folks drive with them regardless. I believe in Germany any new car sold from 2012 onwards must have them.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP.  Persamos green.

(22-11-2011, 01:49 PM)3rensho Wrote:  I believe in Germany any new car sold from 2012 onwards must have them.

I think thats become the case for the UK too?

Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

From February this year all new models of cars and light vans must be fitted with DRL. Existing models that are designed before February 2011 are exempt from this, so its only new models designed after February 2011 must have them fitted.
I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
First sight of DRLs in the UK was in the 70s. They were law in Sweden, Volvo 244s imported into UK had them & they could not be turned off. Volvo 244s were the first cars to have impact bumpers, side impact protection in doors & were tanks compared with other cars of the time. This was when all the 'Volvo driver' jokes started. Eventually after complaints from customers UK dealers would turn the DRLs off if requested.

Drivers in some countries are more reluctant to turn on their lights than others. UK & French drivers always seem to wait until dusk to switch on whereas in Holland most drivers have them on all day. I think it is now law there to have them on in all conditions except bright sunlight.
I had a Volvo 240 2.3GL and loved it, the reason I got rid of it was the body work was quite badly corroded.
Its very true in Holland they have driven with their lights on for years although its not law there they do recommend it.
What I think is dangerous, is drivers who use their side lights only and no head lights to me it should be illegal to drive with them on. I always have my head lights on during the day.
I DO MISS MY BERLINGO Heart
Day time lights aren't as safe as people think. It was proved in Australia that when a few cars have day lights there more noticeable. But when everyone has its effect is gone, other bigger problem is its harder for people to judge the speed of people coming towards them with lights on.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to corkgsxr for this post:
  • Ol'Jeffers
Thumbs Up 
(22-11-2011, 06:28 PM)corkgsxr Wrote:  Day time lights aren't as safe as people think. It was proved in Australia that when a few cars have day lights there more noticeable. But when everyone has its effect is gone, other bigger problem is its harder for people to judge the speed of people coming towards them with lights on.

Strongly agree with that!! Difficulties with judging speed and distance of oncoming vehicles.
Driving on sidelights in anything other than full daylight is illegal. Law states that at times of reduced or restricted visibility dipped headlights must be used.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
I think it should be just motorcycles that should have DRL`s in this way they would stand out from the crowd so to speak, give it a couple more years when there are more cars with DRL`s on the roads the poor old motorcyclist`s are gonna be less conspicuous.I bet the accident rate for motorcyclist`s will increase over time because of this legislation.
2003 Citroën Berlingo 2.0HDi Multispace Desire