Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.11 Average
Puncture preventative
Is anyone using a tyre puncture preventative, the sort where you remove the valve core and inject it into the tyre, where it then distibutes itself and hopefully seals any future punctures.

Looking on e-Bay there's a lot of different makes and prices, some claim to actually balance the wheel and do other good things. I'm thinking it might be a good option rather than changing the wheel or using repair and air, especially on the motorway.

Any thoughts anyone Smile
2011 (61) Multispace XTR 110 in Kyanos Blue
I'll be honest, I haven't had a puncture on my van in 80k miles.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
Had some experience of a JCB Loadall Telescopic Handling type vehicle that used to load residues and ash from an incinerator plant. The stuff that the vehicle used to run on and load was absolutely ridden with old nails and screws etc and consequently prone to many punctures. The tyre fitting company we employed filled the tyres with some stuff called OKO which was basically an air curing latex type rubber which leaked out of where the carcass was punctured and rapidly sealed it. This was a great idea for slow moving plant and not too sure how it affected the wheel balance as that lot sloshing around inside the carcass would surely dynamically unbalance the wheel at speed. Unfortunately, once the tyre was taken off the rim it was scrap as it was then impossible to vulcanise a patch or repair it further.

As a further thought, I suppose the use of this stuff as a "Get me out of jail" idea would be ok if you were really stuck but don't think I would like it in there at other times...
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to andy-womble for this post:
  • theraphosa
I was wondering about a mess inside the tyre, but have just been watching the tests and short vids on Ride-on, which seems pretty good, and does actually balance the wheel, it's clean and just stays on the main running area of the tyre, tested on a motorcycle rear tyre, nails, drills etc., and it seemed to work instant sealing and no pressure loss, that seems to be one of the more expensive ones on the market, if it is that good, might be worth a try. Otherwise I'll drive up to Steve's and get some of that good Yorkshire air in the tyres, Wink
Aren't there some new cars that come with a can of this stuff and no spare wheel?
Sure I heard this somewhere.
As an HGV driver we don't carry a spare (majority of trucks don't) and changing one is pretty impossible on your own.
Trucks are not allowed to change an o/s wheel on the motorway without the Police or Traffic Wombles (sorry, Andy) closing lane 1.
Would you want to ???
(13-03-2012, 08:06 PM)j90xxx Wrote:  Aren't there some new cars that come with a can of this stuff and no spare wheel?
As an HGV driver we don't carry a spare (majority of trucks don't) and changing one is pretty impossible on your own.
Trucks are not allowed to change an o/s wheel on the motorway without the Police or Traffic Wombles (sorry, Andy) closing lane 1.
Would you want to ???

I think that quite a few new cars come without a spare these days. I believe that Citroen even do this?
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
Here is a link to car reviews detailing whether cars come with a full-size spare, a spacesaver or tin of gunk. (Scroll to the bottom.)
As for Citroen; Berlingo has s/saver, DS has tin of gunk. Etc., etc.
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/cartes.../index.jsp
(13-03-2012, 08:06 PM)j90xxx Wrote:  Aren't there some new cars that come with a can of this stuff and no spare wheel?
Would you want to ???

It's pretty scary changing wheels on the motorway, we had a total blowout on a caravan tyre a few years back, luckily just short of the down-ramp at a junction so was able to pull right over onto the slip-road. Even with a dodgy ticker, never changed a wheel so quick in my life.....

Many years back used to deal with a tyre firm called Kennings, they had a lad killed on the motorway attending to a puncture on a truck...

The wife had a puncture in the first few days when we took ownership of the Berlingo. Not belittleing female drivers, but she hadn't got a clue what was happening and drove on it. Tyre was completely and irreperably FUBARED
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Used a can of get you home stuff 30 years ago on a Rover 3500 - did the job but from memory I couldn't get the puncture repaired.

Used to carry a can of the stuff in my bike's top box before I could afford recovery.

Used "Slime" in son's pushbike tyres and it worked well.
Yes, it is scary, any breakdown on motorways. The last Honda Civic we had, which was a 2009, was supplied with a can of repair and air, and quite a decent quality electric pump, which we kept, and still use now. Our present BMW was supplied with neither as it was fitted with run flats, but I keep a tin of repair and air anyway in that, more of a belt and braces feeling :lol:, and the Berlingo of course, has the spare wheel and jack.

It's just as Andy & Steve say, it's is a dangerous activity, but the main difference is repair and air is after the event, and the puncture prevention is the safeguard, to prevent this happening.

j90xxx, I believe this preventative is also used in HGV's and I think, in fact, the post office use it together with one or two other fleet companies.

I think I shall be trying some of this preventative. after a bit more research to make sure I get the most suitable, which hopefully won't unbalance the wheels, and is easy to wash out for a tyre repair, if necessary.

Thanks to all for your input.:thumbsup: