Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.57 Average
Thinking of getting one
Hi, Thought I'd introduce myself here. This'll be a bit chatty - also with some questions.

I'm looking at getting a Berlingo (or perhaps Doblo or something). The reason is a need for something that my learner daughter can practice in, but still suit me. This is the end of an era for me, having driven two Caravelles over the last 10 years (passenger version of the VW Transporter). My current 2.4 Auto Caravelle is no good for this, but I do love the high upright position, drivers legroom, head clearance, and general sense of space.

I can't really justify the size and cost of the Caravelle to run either. Something much more economical would be the ticket. I was hoping for a price something around 1500 tokens, but are Berlingos on their last legs at that stage? My Caravelle is 12 years old and only just getting into its stride! Are the diesels longer lasting?

I drove a Focus the other day and hated it, with the extra problem that I just know holding my left foot on that clutch pedal will quickly give me cramp in the calf.

So does the Berlingo give a good van experience in a more car like vehicle? Particularly the driving position (I'm 6' 2”). I haven't actually sat in one yet, though I have sat in Vauxhaul's equivalent as a passenger (can't remember its name) and liked it a lot. How about as a learner vehicle?

Also I've seen a great extra: the full length opening electric sunroof! That looks utterly brilliant to me but not many second hand seem to have them. Are they rubbish really? (Hey perhaps I should get a 2CV with that!)

I've toyed with going even smaller than a Berlingo, but I'm not even sure what makes/models to look for being so car ignorant. Any ideas? or is that asking too much & it'll end up in discomfort (and pyhsio bills)?

Anyway any feedback from you experts would be great.
Definately a MK2 for headroom and as late-reg as you can, but be a little more open minded about your price bracket as you dont want to be doing too much fixing.
Aviod comparison with VW!!
Very nice to drive -great learner car with fantastic visibility.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to evdama for this post
I also had up untill 2 years ago VW WESTFALIA CAMPER t4, AND bought this because of 50 mpg [well nearly, instead of my 18 in camper, 2.5 auto petrol.] It isnt bad, a compromise really in size and space, little funky, not quite VW status yet, but getting there...ha ha ha ...
Good crowd on here too, nearly as good as vw forums [ joking Andre....]
2010 artic silver VTR with EXTRAS.......Confusedunny:
Thanks guys/gals. Later MK2 makes sense.

Yes I know they don't really compare with VW, although the same driving comfort and ease would be a great equation. Actually the space is probably a bit less important for me, so I'd be happy with even smaller/less space if this was good.

Yeh, the forum looks great - just been reading around.

Well my VW wasn't a camper, but the T4 has lots going for it. A box is the best shape from the inside which is what counts.

Does anyone have comments on the usefulness etc of the full sunroof? Cheers.
(16-04-2012, 08:16 PM)Adam Wrote:  Thanks guys/gals. Later MK2 makes sense.

Yes I know they don't really compare with VW, although the same driving comfort and ease would be a great equation. Actually the space is probably a bit less important for me, so I'd be happy with even smaller/less space if this was good.

Yeh, the forum looks great - just been reading around.

Well my VW wasn't a camper, but the T4 has lots going for it. A box is the best shape from the inside which is what counts.

Does anyone have comments on the usefulness etc of the full sunroof? Cheers.
My comments would be tainted by experience of a Mk2 Astra with factory sunroof permanently dripping rainwater on my head and the mechanism getting stuck- another steer toward a late-reg vehicle.
Vanadalism is another factor.
The idea is still strangely appealing though - and the memory of the West Midland Safari Park giraffe poking its head down through and eating out of my sons hands,then dribbling on the missus's new hairdo ha ha.

that sounds a good day out at the safari park.
and yes with vanadalism today a full cloth roof is a no no ,I would have said.
2010 artic silver VTR with EXTRAS.......Confusedunny:
Giraffe attacks I didn't consider but thankfully are rare. Think I'll start a new thread on sunroofs and see what people say.

Spending a bit more for a newer one is making more sense. They do seem to drop in price quite quickly at the oldest ages (looking on Autotrader), which may indicate high chances of serious problems.

Are the diesels much longer lasting?
Any smaller alternative vehicle with a van-like driving position & comfort?

Hi,I've just got one my self.
Lucky I found one after looking for ages and ages,it turned out just above my budget but I had to go the extra to get the right one,best thing I guess would be to shop about as well as checking small ads etc etc....
As for petrol or diesel well I would of preferred a diesel one,but I got my petrol for the 'right' money so that was a no brainer for me.
I'm using mine for weekends away to the caravan,putting mtbs in, a general leisure vehicle...it fits the bill just nicely..
Good stuff Fido, congrats. Yes I'm seeing they're not the most common vehicle so I will look around.

Well, I had a look at a 01 Forte today and even drove it as bit, and thought I'd record a few thoughts, partly to think it through.

Loved the interior, the high ceiling, elbow room, big boot, cubby holes all over the place. Somewhere to put all the odd bits. The driving position and comfort (which is very important to me at 6' 2") seemed pretty good. The seat goes back far enough.

I did have some reservation about the left leg. On my Caravelle you can let the knee or leg float out, and put your foot as far left as you like. There is no useless huge plastic pillar coming down from centre of the dash traping the foot just next to the clutch pedal and the knee as well, restricting them to a small range of movement. I think the knee had some movement though.

Also the legs are much more horizontal, and straight at the knee, while the back still has to be quite vertical in order to see & reach the wheel properly (you can't drive lying down). Not sure about the long term effects of that, as I really like my present bus driver posture.

O Dear I seem to be talking myself out of it. Maybe a few more tries will clarify things. Sorry a bit pedantic on posture there, but that's porbably the top factor for me.
Hi Adam,I'll agree with your posture point it's got to be important that you are in a comfy position driving the car....
For the record I drive a transit day in day out in work and I think for me driving the citreon is going to get a little usd to but whilst I drove the car back from London on Saturday I had no ill effects,only maybe the right knee started to ache,but that was 200 mile with out a stop or stretch...
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Fido for this post