Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
removing fuel tank any advice
Hi all

Any advice on removing fuel tank so i can solve my problem is this job easy

Thanks Mups
Hi, Is this any use to you?Confusedcratch:

.pdf   fuel tank removal.pdf (Size: 46.93 KB / Downloads: 127)

Confusedalut:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
[+] 4 users say Thank You to Rustscrat for this post
Thanks will look closer weekend
(26-04-2012, 03:26 PM)muply Wrote:  Thanks will look closer weekend

Let us know what it's like as I'm going to do the same myself.:thumbsup:
Some non-mechanical advice (from long ago - the last fuel tank I took off was on a '64 Pontiac): A day or two before you tackle the job, clean off the underside of the car with a good sprayer - maybe your local carwash has one. Makes a big difference to the amount of crud you get in your face, and what does fall won't be fine dry dust which is the worst in your eyes. Eye protection of some kind is an obvious benefit anyway. I used to use two sliders - one for me and one for tools and eventually the tank, or other large sub-chassis component. Surprising how they speed up the job.
If I'm teaching you to suck eggs, I apologise - they're nice anyway whipped up with brandy after that kind of job!
Good luck
Richard
[+] 1 user says Thank You to CandR for this post
(26-04-2012, 10:18 PM)CandR Wrote:  Some non-mechanical advice (from long ago - the last fuel tank I took off was on a '64 Pontiac): A day or two before you tackle the job, clean off the underside of the car with a good sprayer - maybe your local carwash has one. Makes a big difference to the amount of crud you get in your face, and what does fall won't be fine dry dust which is the worst in your eyes. Eye protection of some kind is an obvious benefit anyway. I used to use two sliders - one for me and one for tools and eventually the tank, or other large sub-chassis component. Surprising how they speed up the job.
If I'm teaching you to suck eggs, I apologise - they're nice anyway whipped up with brandy after that kind of job!
Good luck
Richard

Nice one, Cheers.:thumbsup:
thanks
You're very welcome.
(27-04-2012, 01:39 PM)CandR Wrote:  You're very welcome.

my tank leaks from the top... i better take it off and have a look
I'm not sure if you're dealing with a diesel or petrol tank, but I once came close to disaster removing a fuel tank on a Land Rover. The tank had a slow leak from around the drain plug boss, so I decided to drain the remaining couple of gallons into a clean bucket to avoid it leaking slowly overnight. I was working under the vehicle, in my garage, with an inspection lamp clamped to the chassis. I was expecting a visitor, but when he walked in he tripped over the power lead to the inspection lamp. This pulled the lamp off the chassis, and despite it being a 'rough service' bulb with a guard around it, the bulb burst with a loud bang and a flash. To say it gave me a fright is an understatement. It makes me shudder to think of the consequences if it had ignited the petrol.
I thought I was being careful too.... :eek: