Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.57 Average
Leaving ignition on
Can anybody tell me if it is ok to leave the ignition switched on for an hour or two on a 1.6 HDi 90 (for charging batteries on a camping trip) without starting the engine? I'm harking back to the days when most cars were petrol driven with coil ignition and we were advised not to leave the ignition switched on for longer than necessary. The auxiliary socket on my old 2.00 HDi Picasso was live so have never had to consider this before.
(29-04-2012, 12:12 PM)GJT Wrote:  Can anybody tell me if it is ok to leave the ignition switched on for an hour or two on a 1.6 HDi 90 (for charging batteries on a camping trip) without starting the engine? I'm harking back to the days when most cars were petrol driven with coil ignition and we were advised not to leave the ignition switched on for longer than necessary. The auxiliary socket on my old 2.00 HDi Picasso was live so have never had to consider this before.

As Far as I know there should be no problem,
what you need to be sure of is that the power consumption will not kill your battery.

In my MK2 I have a spare output that when I ordered it I asked them to change it to a live one.

when I go to a trip that I am using my battery I allways take cables with me
Just to be sure.

Enjoy your trip.
Isn't Eco mode likely to kick in?
(29-04-2012, 06:04 PM)talos Wrote:  Isn't Eco mode likely to kick in?

Yes, I thought about that unless it doesn't apply to the auxiliary socket. Can't see why that would be , though. I thought I could at least leave a couple of batteries or a phone charging for half and hour before setting out for the day so that it could continue whilst still driving.
(29-04-2012, 06:32 PM)GJT Wrote:  

Yes, I thought about that unless it doesn't apply to the auxiliary socket. Can't see why that would be , though. I thought I could at least leave a couple of batteries or a phone charging for half and hour before setting out for the day so that it could continue whilst still driving.

Not sure, I use a cooler box when out shopping for the freezer, connected to the aux skt and on one occasion it had switched off.
(30-04-2012, 06:54 AM)talos Wrote:  
(29-04-2012, 06:32 PM)GJT Wrote:  

Not sure, I use a cooler box when out shopping for the freezer, connected to the aux skt and on one occasion it had switched off.
Thanks. That confirms my suspicions - pretty obvious really if I had put more thought to it. Doh! Anyway, thanks to all for the replies.