Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.64 Average
Boot won't lock (erm.. Tailgate for Americans)
I think Americans say Tailgate but the Boot won't lock on my Berlingo Muiltspace Desire 2003 model.

I can't test via the automatically key cause i need a new one but central locking won't lock it, and often just unlocks it. When i shut the boot and lock it via that, when the key is turned to lock it, it DOES Lock, when i turn the key enough to take the key out of the lock, it unlocks. I can keep it kinda locked (that is, It seams to be and stays locked) if i very clearly turn it to take the key out. but unlocking any of the doors opens it and i have to go through the locking all over again.

I think that is all the information needed. I think it's a problem with a loose lock but I'm not sure how to tighten it so if i can be confirmed as that, and some help, i can deal with it no problems.
My boot stopped locking off the central locking when it was under warranty some 8 year back!

It was a fault with a spring in the mechanism.
mm.. If it's the spring, then I'd either need to take the lock apart to check it and replace a couple of parts, or get a new lock.. okay, thanks, i'll have a work with my local mechanic tomorrow.. might be a good move and I'll post back with what happens
Hi, is this any use to you? Confusedalut:

.pdf   Rear tailgate door.pdf (Size: 198.47 KB / Downloads: 33)
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Rustscrat for this post
mmm.. not sure.. doesn't look quite the same, the main problem is that would probebly help take off one bit of the lock, but that might not fix the problem. I've got it booked in for the mechanic in about a weeks time.. a bit long but it's mostly a case of when the car isn't needed and i'm able to get it to him to look at. Seams like it might be either the spring or solenoid. If he can fix it, he will, else he'll get a new part in. Since i've known him a very long time, it shouldn't be that pricey or anything.. unless a whole new lock means a new key for the boot.. that might be a little tricky.

Thanks though, that'll probebly come in useful in the future.
(09-05-2012, 04:03 PM)ManicMan Wrote:  I think Americans say Tailgate but the Boot won't lock on my Berlingo Muiltspace Desire 2003 model.

I can't test via the automatically key cause i need a new one but central locking won't lock it, and often just unlocks it. When i shut the boot and lock it via that, when the key is turned to lock it, it DOES Lock, when i turn the key enough to take the key out of the lock, it unlocks. I can keep it kinda locked (that is, It seams to be and stays locked) if i very clearly turn it to take the key out. but unlocking any of the doors opens it and i have to go through the locking all over again.

I think that is all the information needed. I think it's a problem with a loose lock but I'm not sure how to tighten it so if i can be confirmed as that, and some help, i can deal with it no problems.
hi, i had a similar problem with our 2005 berlingo the catch on the slam panel had moved slightly back over the years due to heavy handed use ,moving it slightly forward enabled it to work, the central locking worked again ,i also worked a can of lube spray inside the lock area over a few days ,i hope this helps
[+] 1 user says Thank You to 7866richard for this post
Okay. Check up done. Found the problem.

When taking the back off, the inside of the lock is pretty worn and pretty much had it. Need a new one.. Now, i can't 100% remember what he said i think it's the Central Locking System Actuator. Can someone please comfirm.

Also, are the difference ones for each lock (front driver, etc) the same or differently made parts. And double checking if a 2002 part is much different then 2003. He isn't too sure on the price but we are going to look around for the prices of them.
When mine did the same, changed the black actuator, it would unlock and not lock, would lock with the key only. The actuator is the same as the passanger on on most citroens eg saxo etc. Paid less than a fiver for one off E bay, 50 notes+ at the dealer.
my multispace 2006 has just stopped locking the tailgate door as well... All the other doors lock with the electronic remote key thing and i can hear all the clicks and stuff in the door, but the thing does not lock. It clicks shut so that it doesn't open with out lifting the handle, but even turning the key in the lock doesn't lock it. I tried shoving a load of lube up it, but still no joy. I'm off now to take the inside panel off, and have a fiddle. Any suggestions of how to do that without breaking the retainers, or any other helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all.
Mmmm... I've taken the lock apart now... The inside panel just popped off (no screws) <Aaaargh>however one of the popper pins broke its mounting</Aaaargh>.
Inside there is pushrod that undoes the catch and this gets pressed when you operate the handle on the outside. When it locks the top of the pushrod is moved sideways so that the handle rocker mechanism misses it and the catch is not released.

My pushrod wont stay in the out of the way position. It always springs back into the position where the handle rocker can push it. I'm going to strip the pushrod and solenoid assembly apart tonight.
Anyone else had to do this?