Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 2.32 Average
no power :( please help!!
i bought my 53 plate lingo about a month ago and was told at the time there was a wastegate problem.. and if i left it to warm up for 10 15 mins it would be ok after that..

and to a certain extent thats correct, but there is still very little power till 3k rpm in 2nd gear which is soul destroying!! i fear that someone will run into the back of me expecting me to take off much faster than im able..

can anyone help? im sick of crawling up hills on 50+ mph roads at 30!! and joining 50+ roads an taking 2 weeks to get up to speed!!
Can't you blank it off? I know the Ford Galaxy wastegate can be blanked.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
i have no idea, i will look into that.. i forgot to say its a 2.0 hdi td van.

could the loss of power like this only be caused by the wastegate or could there be something else? the turbo doesnt kick in till 3k rpm this is 1k more than other owners cars/vans that iv been reading about.. and there is little to no power or acceleration till the turbo does kick in
I'm not really sure. I did have a problem with a sluggish Xantia that the garage said was down to a sticky wastegate. You could try this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-Blanking-P...1e6e35251c
which at £3.99 and not requiring the complete removal would seem to be an inexpensive experiment.
Malc

Stupid computer!
thanks for the input i will need to look into this further as the part only goes up2 1.6 engines i hope something this simple will solve my problem
[+] 1 user says Thank You to dr_martin for this post
(20-05-2012, 11:42 PM)dr_martin Wrote:  thanks for the input i will need to look into this further as the part only goes up2 1.6 engines i hope something this simple will solve my problem

You could as an experiment knock something similar up out of a baked bean can. If it works then you have a template to make something more permanent out of aluminium.
Malc

Stupid computer!
You can make these plates from virtually anything, the end of a bean can will be fine.

Take the EGR valve off for your template and whilst it's off give it a good clean up.

You could try disonnecting it first to se if that makes any difference. Pull the actuating hose off, or unplug the solenoid (under the battery - blue plug). Bear in mind that either blanking it, removing it, or disconnecting it is likely to give MIL and long term probably limp mode every now and again. But might help eliminate.

Also, the wastegate has nothing to do with the EGR.
Don't sound much different to what I remember, you need a calender for a 0 - 60 times lol.
2011 (61) Multispace XTR 110 in Kyanos Blue
Are the brakes also hard? I wonder if you have a vacuum leak so the turbo isnt going on boost if its the VNT type.

If it's a conventional fixed pitch turbine you may have a clogged cat or a leaking exhaust at the downpipes? Exhaust pressure is what spins the turbine up so if its not happening at low revs it has to be a gas-flow fault at the hot-wheel side - or an air leak at the intake side so boost is low. Look for split pipes especially underneath the pipe - on any hose that connects the turbo to the intake.

If it is a stuck-open wastegate then blanking it or jamming shut may result in overboost and head gasket failure or conrod bending. It needs to work to relieve excess pressure from the turbine when it reaches the stall point on boost. Excess pressure opens the wastegate to keep max boost limited and constant according to load.

Maybe the WG spring is broken, or its clogged with carbon, if its carbon it can be cleaned using mr muscle oven cleaner spray (sodium hydroxide) - needs left in it for about 2 hours then blown clean or taken for a run.

just found out it may be a VNT/VGT variable pitch turbo so you are looking at low vacuum, boost leak or sticking boost actuator to the vnt mechanism (on the side of the turbo).
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Zion for this post
VNT not fitted to the 2.0