Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 3.89 Average
Strange Overheating problem
Sad 
Hi all.

My MK3 Berlingo Van 1.6Hdi 75Bhp has 324k on the clock. The temp was going quite high (upto 100 after some motorway driving). The cooling fan had stopped working. I have replaced the cooling fan, the fan relay, the temp sensor in the thermostat, coolant liquid (all original parts).

The radiator was also clogged up due to motorway driving, dead insects and dirt etc, with a few ciggy ends also. So i jet washed the radiator after replacing the above parts. This made a big difference Smile

The temp now stays around 88 when on the motorway and local driving. But if i get stuck in traffic after the motorway, i find the temp slowly rises to 100 or just below. It seems the cooling fan does not come on??

Today i visited my local citroen/peugeot parts supplier and he said i should change the thermostat !!! But I was not convinced as the temp rises to 90 from cold, and then drops to a lovely 88. From what he showed me, there is only 1 electrical connection on the thermostat (the temp sensor which i replaced). I asked him about a fuse, but he said it cannot be a fuse !!!

SO, should i spend money on a thermostat or replace the fuse, which i cannot locate by the way. !!!

Any help is much appreciated.
If the van doesn't boil over what's the problem. Why do you think it's getting too hot?

Thermostats in my day were mechanical valves that opened when the water got hot, nothing to do with electric cooling fans, maybe they are different now though.
(06-07-2012, 01:53 PM)Mac Wrote:  Hi all.

My MK3 Berlingo Van 1.6Hdi 75Bhp has 324k on the clock. The temp was going quite high (upto 100 after some motorway driving). The cooling fan had stopped working. I have replaced the cooling fan, the fan relay, the temp sensor in the thermostat, coolant liquid (all original parts).

The radiator was also clogged up due to motorway driving, dead insects and dirt etc, with a few ciggy ends also. So i jet washed the radiator after replacing the above parts. This made a big difference Smile

The temp now stays around 88 when on the motorway and local driving. But if i get stuck in traffic after the motorway, i find the temp slowly rises to 100 or just below. It seems the cooling fan does not come on??

Today i visited my local citroen/peugeot parts supplier and he said i should change the thermostat !!! But I was not convinced as the temp rises to 90 from cold, and then drops to a lovely 88. From what he showed me, there is only 1 electrical connection on the thermostat (the temp sensor which i replaced). I asked him about a fuse, but he said it cannot be a fuse !!!

SO, should i spend money on a thermostat or replace the fuse, which i cannot locate by the way. !!!

Any help is much appreciated.

The sensor that worked the fan on my 1.4 petrol berlingo did not operate until about 120 C.
There is a temp. sender which operates the temp gauge and supplies the ECU data for engine settings fuel/air mixtures etc.
On the 1.4 p berlingo there is a separate sensor to switch the fan on when over 120 C. by earthing the feed to the temp. sender There may be another similar sensor on yours (I dont have a 1.6d) The thermostat regulates the temperature of the engine coolant and wont switch the cooling fan on or off.

Remember the boiling point under pressure is higher.

Confusedtudy:
Hi

Basically the fan won't activate. Even when the temp gauge goes upto 95/100. That's what the ultimate issue is. I've replaced some parts except the thermostat.
(10-07-2012, 08:23 AM)Mac Wrote:  Hi

Basically the fan won't activate. Even when the temp gauge goes upto 95/100. That's what the ultimate issue is. I've replaced some parts except the thermostat.

Change the thermostat then , not a big job and should'nt be too expensive. Dont think it will make much difference but worth a try,