Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.63 Average
Help fixing/replacing passenger electric window mechanism (Mk1)

I have an old Mk1 Berlingo from 1999, and the passenger electrical window mechanism is no longer working properly; it gets stuck and makes a nasty noise when opening/closing. It can be used, by repeatedly opening/closing it a bit, but I fear that it will completely break at some point soon.

I got a quote from a garage, and they quoted me almost £300 to fix it, so I would like to have a look myself to identify and fix the fault.

Does anyone know if there is a manual for removing the inside passenger door panel and window mechanism, or a guide online somewhere? I would like to avoid breaking anything if possible Wink

Many thanks!

Hi Willi75,
Get the Haynes manual (should be number 4281). Tells you everything you need to know.
Ex 1.4 Berlingo Multispace
Thanks. I read a little online about doing the same on a Mk2, and decided to try my luck. The panel came off without too much damage (1 broken clip and a couple of minor tears in the protective foam) and I was able to remove the winder mechanism.

Interestingly, it looks as though the cable, where it's wrapped around the plastic cog-like wheel adjacent to the motor, became tangled and with the force of the motor reduced the overall length of the cable and created too much stress for the little plastic clips holding the cable into the 4 white wheels at the ends of the steel rods. I managed a temp fix so the window is working again, but I can hear the cable is not running smoothly so will order a replacement.

Any suggestions for where I can buy a replacement winder mechanism? My motor works just fine, so I need the cable and all the white plastic bits Smile