Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Engine Loses Power (but not for long!)
Hi, I'm new here. Just bought a 53 plate 1.9 hdi. It developed a fault after a week with the engine light coming on & the engine dying but only for an instant. Local garage read the fault codes & replaced the crankshaft timing sensor & the solenoid that sends unburned fuel back from the exhaust. Problem solved... for 200 miles. Now it's back except that the engine warning light doesn't come on now, I just get a moment of no power. If I dip the clutch the engine dies but if I don't it's like I bump start it & on we go.

It's booked into the garage again on Friday but I thought I'd ask if anyone's had anything similar happen.

Thanks all.
(10-09-2012, 10:25 AM)Elvis1967 Wrote:  Hi, I'm new here. Just bought a 53 plate 1.9 hdi. It developed a fault after a week with the engine light coming on & the engine dying but only for an instant. Local garage read the fault codes & replaced the crankshaft timing sensor & the solenoid that sends unburned fuel back from the exhaust. Problem solved... for 200 miles. Now it's back except that the engine warning light doesn't come on now, I just get a moment of no power. If I dip the clutch the engine dies but if I don't it's like I bump start it & on we go.

It's booked into the garage again on Friday but I thought I'd ask if anyone's had anything similar happen.

Thanks all.

Hi & welcome.check the obvious first,fuel & air filter.Check tank breather is clear.Good luck.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
So this seems to be solved now. A look at the ECU and some of the wires were chafed, replaced those & it seems OK again. Somebody's obviously had the thing out & taken the lid off, I've no idea what they thought they could do in there. I only hope they just put the lid back on & backed away.

Now I've got a rumbling sound caused by a worn ball joint & wheel bearing, two front tyres that are worn on the inside and the horn's stopped working. I've had the car about 3 months & it's cost almost a grand in garage bills so far. Not the cheap runaround I was hoping for!

The tailgate wouldn't work the other day either but a squirt or two of WD40 seems to have sorted that for now...