Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ignition coil turns off
i've searched the forum for a similar problem but i couln't find it. if it exists, please excuse me for this new thread. i have a berlingo van 1,9 from 2000. the other day i tried to start the engine with no luck. when i turn the ignition key, normally the ignition coil light turns on for a few seconds and then turns off and i can start the engine. this time and since that, the ignition coil light turns on but it immediately turns off. i hear some relay clicking when it turns off. i try to start the engine and the starter works, but there's no way i can turn the engine on. i'm sorry if my english is not so good, and for the size of the message, but i tried to explain the problem the most i can. if any body can help, i'll be much greatful. thank you.
Are your glow plugs OK ?

The "ignition coil" light is the glow plugs indicator light . When they are hot enought to start the engine the "Ignition coil " lights go out, If they are not heating long enought the engine is difficult to start.

These will be the old type of heater plugs that take a while to heat up not like the modern ones that heat up in a fraction of a second.

It may be that the heater plugs are burnt out. As you are an electrician it should be easy for you to check for 12volts at the plugs and to check them for continuity

The 4 plugs sit behind the fuel pump
[+] 1 user says Thank You to brodfather11 for this post
(18-10-2012, 04:17 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  Are your glow plugs OK ?

The "ignition coil" light is the glow plugs indicator light . When they are hot enought to start the engine the "Ignition coil " lights go out, If they are not heating long enought the engine is difficult to start.

These will be the old type of heater plugs that take a while to heat up not like the modern ones that heat up in a fraction of a second.

It may be that the heater plugs are burnt out. As you are an electrician it should be easy for you to check for 12volts at the plugs and to check them for continuity

The 4 plugs sit behind the fuel pump

thank you for your help. i'm not near the van right now, but as soon as i can i'll check the glow plugs and get back to you.. thank you for your fine instructions..Smile
[quote='F4iTH' pid='28771' dateline='1350586532']
[quote='brodfather11' pid='28761' dateline='1350577056']
Are your glow plugs OK ?

When you asked for the glow plugs, i wasn't quite sure what you mean, since here in Portugal they have a completely diferent name. i check them before asking for help since it's the most logical thing to do, and they are ok. but with this "new" name "glow plugs", i made a new search on the forum and found a problem like my own. exactly the same. and the solution works for me too! SmileSmile the problem was a bad connection on the IC02A connector of the engine bay. i cleaned it and it solved the problem. you can find the page here:

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=1875

Thank you for your help. i don't have the vocabulary knowledge to really express how glad i am. my economical situation is almost dramatic, and your help saved me some money. I sincerely hope that in the future, i can help others in this forum the same way you helped me. Many thanks for you all.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to F4iTH for this post
Good , Thanks for letting us know that you have solved your problem.

any other problems you have let us know , somebody might just know the answer.

Happy Berlingo motoring

:woop::woop::woop::wave:
(19-10-2012, 02:38 PM)F4iTH Wrote:  Thank you for your help. i don't have the vocabulary knowledge to really express how glad i am. my economical situation is almost dramatic, and your help saved me some money. I sincerely hope that in the future, i can help others in this forum the same way you helped me. Many thanks for you all.

Your vocabulary is perfect, you could not have put it better. :thumbsup:
[Image: 108137.png]

Do not write below this line. Office use only.

[+] 1 user says Thank You to thurrockdave for this post