Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Rewiring door speakers
Has anybody attempted this?

Reason I ask is I have replaced the stock speakers with a pair of FLI 3-way speakers and to be honest they sound pretty poor.

They did sound better connected directly to the head unit (Parrot Rhythm n Blue), so the only thing I can think of is maybe there is a built in crossover somewhere that is hindering the output of these speakers.

I have had a quick look at the door and it would need drilling and grommets/sleeving fitted, just wondered if anybody else has had a similar result after replacing stock speakers.

Thanks
Vinny
Hi mate have the exact same problem changed to fli speakers and sony head unit and what a pile of sh** it sounds my sounds like a mono transistor radio :lol: like you say it must be a wiring problem
I think I'm going to buy grommets and sleeving and rewire the doors. I won't be able to do for a few weeks so I'll post when its done.
Just a quick update, I don't think there is a crossover for the front speakers.

Whilst sorting out the real 'switched live' to the HU earlier I had a quick peek at the speaker wiring harness, both tweeter and door speaker are wired directly to the wiring harness.

I have given up trying to get any bass from the doors and I've just bought a mutant underseat sub, I'll see what that is like.

If it's crap I reckon I could make my own enclosure and fit a 8" sub under the passenger seat as I need the space in the back of the van.
(03-11-2012, 11:51 AM)dave28 Wrote:  Hi mate have the exact same problem changed to fli speakers and sony head unit and what a pile of sh** it sounds my sounds like a mono transistor radio :lol: like you say it must be a wiring problem

I have just taken out the speakers an put rubber insulation around the edges before fitting them back into the door. The difference in sound is unbelievable. Granted its not as bassy as I want it but there certainly is an improvement in bass.
cheers for that i will give it a go when i get time