Thread Rating:
  • 46 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
faulty horn
Hi, I have a 2003 2.0HDi Peugeot Partner (same thing innit!) and the horn only works with the ignition off and key removed! - is this caused by the Com2000 thingy or a bad contact somewhere (though if it works with ignition off and key removed I dont see how it can be a contacts issue?)

Please help as failed the MOT and I dont want to have to spend a fortune at a dealership!!

thanks
hi mate,

Has the previous owner or yourself fitted ANYTHING aftermarket? eg: phone kit/ steering controls??

If so:

Likely cause: the horn supply connected to the wrong fuse or on the key switch block.

Recheck both the horn AND the aftermarket item(s) wiring by starting from the business end of each and tracing it back through the fuse and switch to the power source.

You'll need: a 12V test lamp or a multimeter and
basic experience in car electric systems.

good luck.... let me know how you go....
Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Hi, Thanks for reply.

I have owned the vehicle for 4 years and there are no extras on it or aftermarket alarms etc. The horn will work occasionally when driving and was working daily last week after a long spell of same problem. I just got round to thinking it had sorted itself when heypresto its back to its faulty status again.

As I said earlier, it works EVERY time with the key out of the ignition i.e parked situation! - I love the car for its space and fuel economy but I have heard that the electrics can be pain in the **se!
Is a tricky one....?

The testing procedures above can still be carried out though, if you feel confident.
If there are no remnants of aftermarket equipment, then hopefully you will track this down to a faulty connection..
Otherwise could well be the comm 2000 if it has not been replaced already......
(10-03-2011, 06:34 PM)adam3rdcanvey Wrote:  hi mate,

If so:

Likely cause: the horn supply connected to the wrong fuse or on the key switch block.

This is impossible because:
1. COM2000 connected with BSI via CAN-bus.
2. Some COM2000 units had similar bug. Only thing we can do is to replace COM2000. It's a bug of Magnetti Marelli electronics inside COM2000.
To know what's faulty, you need Lexia. Just start test and you'll know what to replace.
Depending on availability of Lexia diagnostics. This link may be of interest to you if you need to get through the MOT:

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?co...ot_process
Thank you for link but I do not live in UK Smile
Below you can find a digram suitable for M59:

[Image: signqw.png]

CV00 - COM2000
0004 - instrument panel
Triple arrow it's a CAN-bus

I don't understand, how you intended to check CAN-bus using a 12V lamp and multimeter? Smile
thanks for the interest in my horn problem. I will probably have to go to a main dealer by the sounds of it. I did try a BSI reboot following a special procedure I found on the web and it made no difference. Horn connections must be good if i works with key out of ignition after switching off engine so reckon it must be this com2000 unit thing!
(13-03-2011, 05:44 PM)modman Wrote:  thanks for the interest in my horn problem. I will probably have to go to a main dealer by the sounds of it. I did try a BSI reboot following a special procedure I found on the web and it made no difference. Horn connections must be good if i works with key out of ignition after switching off engine so reckon it must be this com2000 unit thing!

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have EXACTLY the same problem!

I have the same problem , the horn only works when the ignition is not on. Been told by an expert that its a bad earth problem and to clean the earth points up.
Multispace 1.9D Mystery Machine.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Pitman for this post