Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.36 Average
Berlingo wiper fault
Hi all, just bought Berlingo van 1.9d lx model. problem is with wipers not working properly. they sometimes stop working when they should be on and now they have started to come on on their own even when the key is not in the ignition. Had it to dealer who said it was loose wire in fuse box. It is still no better and there is a buzzing sound coming from fuse box and the wipers came on the other day when I opened the door with the key. The garage now tell me that I need a new fuse box at over £400 but I think that I have located a second hand one. Does anyone have any ideas on this problem ? before I splash out on the fuse box. I've only had the van a week so getting a bit disilusioned about berlingo's.
Thanks in advance Dave
Have a search on the forum because im sure this has been covered in the last few weeks and if my fuzzy brain can remember it was something to do with an earth on the fuse box but I may be wrong.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
I have a similar problem to that
Could be the BSI unit, especially as the stealers are quoting around £400. You can get a second hand one but make sure it is the same part number, then you will need to getit recoded.
(26-11-2012, 07:23 PM)dwalk Wrote:  Hi all, just bought Berlingo van 1.9d lx model. problem is with wipers not working properly. they sometimes stop working when they should be on and now they have started to come on on their own even when the key is not in the ignition. Had it to dealer who said it was loose wire in fuse box. It is still no better and there is a buzzing sound coming from fuse box and the wipers came on the other day when I opened the door with the key. The garage now tell me that I need a new fuse box at over £400 but I think that I have located a second hand one. Does anyone have any ideas on this problem ? before I splash out on the fuse box. I've only had the van a week so getting a bit disilusioned about berlingo's.
Thanks in advance Dave

It does sound like the BSI might be at fault. Presumably you have already tried a BSI reset. If you can find a scrapper with the correct unit it is worth dismantling the BSI and swapping just one of the boards. If you remove the plastic covers of the replacement BSI you will see 2 boards connected by 2 sets of pins and sockets. One board contains the intelligence which runs the car and the other is a series of servos (relays) which convert the low level signals from the intelligent board into 12 volt signals which connect with the various systems e.g. wiper motor. The 2 boards can be separated by CAREFULLY prising them apart. If you remove your own BSI (see elsewhere on this forum) and separate your boards you can swap the servo board while retaining your original intelligent board, which means you will not have to have it programmed to your vehicle. The servo board does not contain any intelligence.

While you have your BSI out it's a good idea to have close look at the boards (use a magnifying glass if necessary) to see if any damage, burns, loose components etc are there. It might be possible to replace suspect components or resolder poor joints etc. If you can hear a buzzing noise from your existing BSI (which is directly under the fusebox) the chances are there's a loose component somewhere and it could well be showing signs of arcing or burning. Taking the BSI out is a fiddly job but well worth £400. Just take your time. Let us know what you find.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mikeB for this post:
  • Ol'Jeffers