Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Hi Everyone
Hello Everyone just joined the forum after my recent purchase of 2004 1.6 Berlingo Desire, a quick question i have noticed a ticking noise when the engine is running from around the offside front wing/dashboard area, definately not from the engine and doesn't increase with engine revs, anyone else experienced this or any solutions as to what it could be would greatly appreciated.

Kev.
Hi and welcome, someone with a bit of knowledge will be along soon I`m sure, as for me I just drive one but am mechanically useless.
Pete
[+] 1 user says Thank You to pch for this post
Hi Kev,

welcome to the forum

can you narrow down the location of noise a little bit?

Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to adam3rdcanvey for this post
Hi, welcome, and congratulations. I can't offer a suggestion about the ticking noise, but you'll get some suggestions soon I'm sure.
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

[+] 1 user says Thank You to Chris for this post
Thanks for the replies, noise can be heard when sat in the drivers seat from around the right hand side of dash, when outside the car noise can be heard from around the offside wing, not a very loud ticking noise but can still be heard and sometimes not there at all.

Kev.
Kev,
you'll have to have a feel in and around fuse box area to eliminate problem areas. If the ticking is intermittent could be tricky. My first thought was a nick on the alternator belt. But could be wing mirror motors if electric, headlight beam motors etc.

Work your way along offside and try to pin point location when ticking occurs....

Good luck keep us posted
I think I know the sound you mean and I've always had the sound. For me I get the sound when my desiel pre heater is on. It's kind of a ticking/clicking noise. May not be the same but that's the sound I get. It comes from the drivers side of the vehicle
Lliam

53 plate Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D Polar White
[+] 1 user says Thank You to lemsworld for this post
Once again thanks for all the replies, my car is petrol so no pre heater, sounds like it could be coming from fuse box area i'll have a good look tomorrow.

Kev.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to karaokekev for this post
Relevant to petrol engines.... Forgot this one initially!

The electronic throttle butterfly in operation (slow ticking) or alternatively its the canister electro valve doing what it should.

The canister electrovalve vents hydrocarbons (fumes) from the fuel tank into the inlet manifold so they get burnt off.

The electrovalve is controlled by the fuel injection computer and will operate when the engine has achieved a preset temperature together with other sensor readings needed for correct control.

When the engine is Hot & idling the electrovalve will be electronically pulsed so it is turned on and off, hence the tapping noise. when you touch the throttle pedal it stops the electrovalve operation? (does it)

The electrovalve does work on other occasions hence the intermittent nature...

You may hear these operations better in the driving seat than you would under the bonnet due to engine noise.

Just out of curiosity, when the ticking occurs move the indicator switch say right or left and see what happens then.
Had a similar fault on the old Pug 306 drove me daft, checking relays under the dash etc, turned out to be the indicator switch sticking.
A drop of the old WD40 and away it went, good as new.
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
[+] 2 users say Thank You to andy-womble for this post